Load-side Controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ewdudley

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2009
Cayuga County NY
I've been asked to share some system documentation, so here goes.

All I have so far is the load-side stuff to control the oil boiler, storage transfer pump, load circs, and whatnot.

Some probably non-obvious abbreviations: Stfy=satisfy, AqStat=aquastat, CFH=call for heat.

Bus at top is 24VAC.

Returns to 24VAC common for relay coils K1-K4 are not shown.

No detail for power relays K8-K12 is shown.

I see now that AqStatBuf1Top is missing from the plumbing schematic.

A lot of the complication is due to the house having been converted to hot water from steam years ago and the radiators are large and the piping is fat. So when a radiator zone activates it dumps a bunch of cold water into the return side. I put in a Wilo variable speed radiator load circ in and that helped a lot, but finally I added an aquastat on the oil boiler return with bang-bang control to keep the oil boiler up to temp, for as much as I'll ever use it again if this project ever gets done.

Cheers --ewd

Attachments

• loadside_control_schematic.jpg
    loadside_control_schematic.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 414
  • loadside_plumbing_schematic.jpg
    loadside_plumbing_schematic.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 417
Status
Not open for further replies.