load the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burning a hot clean fire keeps the glass clean. Make sure to get stove up to temp then close Draft down slowly to get the secondaries to burn. Should have no problem with dirty glass long as ur burning dry wood.

The butt end of the splits to close to the glass will backend it. But wet wood and cold burns are the other cause. I find when starting a cold stove, I get it real hot 400- 500 F for a few loads before letting it cycle down and up again. When I started burning years ago the glass would be so black by the end of a weekend you couldn't see the fire. Now , same stove same wood I only clean the white haze occasional. And I pay more attention the the heat output than the fire.

The butt end of the splits to close to the glass will backend it. But wet wood and cold burns are the other cause. I find when starting a cold stove, I get it real hot 400- 500 F for a few loads before letting it cycle down and up again. When I started burning years ago the glass would be so black by the end of a weekend you couldn't see the fire. Now , same stove same wood I only clean the white haze occasional. And I pay more attention the the heat output than the fire.
I will try that it is all a learning curve for me

Burning a hot clean fire keeps the glass clean. Make sure to get stove up to temp then close Draft down slowly to get the secondaries to burn. Should have no problem with dirty glass long as ur burning dry wood.
I dont have a temp gage but i am going today. Witch is the best

Seasoned wood.

Proper temps -- not too hot and definitely not too cool.

Keep the wood from rolling up against the "glass."

Proper air control -- not suffocating the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.