Load timing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sconnie Burner

Feeling the Heat
Aug 23, 2014
Western Wi
I have trouble guessing how much wood I need to get me from the time I get home from work till the load up for overnight. I usually end up with too much and have to force it to burn up so I can reload.

Can I put just a couple decent logs on at a time as long as I leave the air set so it doesnt smolder? The reason I ask is because the stove is in the lower living room where we spend most of our evening playing with the kids and watching tv. I end up cooking us out trying to force burn the overload. Im thinking I can keep the temp more stable/comfortable and be able to load for overnight when I'm ready vs waiting till late into the night (10-10:30) and then spending another 30 mins tending the air control. My only concern is more creosote from the multiple reloads.

I have thermos on pipe and stove so I can keep an eye out for too cool of flue. I shoot for surface flue temps of 300-350 on a small load as long as I can. But it dips to 225-250 for most of the burn. Stove top is usually 400-500. Are those temps ok?

I keep my flue temp above 300F and never have a creosote problem. My Mansfield is way too big for my present home but we bought it for our 3000 sq ft loghome , so now I burn 3 to 4 splits at a time . Burning it hot and letting it burn down before the night reload of still only 3 -4 splits , keeps the house about 72-74F. Plenty of coals in the morning , for a reload that will take about 30 to 50 min. to be comfortable to leave it until I can reload about 8-10 hrs later.

OP: Great question. I need the same info.;)

I don't know if it's correct or not but when i get home i throw a few splits on the coals to keep the heat up and maintain the fire til i go to bed. I leave the air about 1/4 to 1/2 open to keep the box hot and by bed time those splits are burned down to the beginning of coal stage and i can break them up with the poker for a nice coal bed to reload on for the night burn.
When im home on the weekends i'll burn 2 or 3 splits or half full just to maintain a medium heat output on the stove so i don't heat myself out of the house. Might make a bit more creosote but what are you gonna do? I'll clean the chimney once or twice more during the season if need be.

I have sort of the opposite problem, I don't burn overnight so I feed log by log from ~10:30 till I go to bed. I keep those bigger, wider splits for these times.

I have trouble guessing how much wood I need to get me from the time I get home from work till the load up for overnight. I usually end up with too much and have to force it to burn up so I can reload.

Can I put just a couple decent logs on at a time as long as I leave the air set so it doesnt smolder? The reason I ask is because the stove is in the lower living room where we spend most of our evening playing with the kids and watching tv. I end up cooking us out trying to force burn the overload. Im thinking I can keep the temp more stable/comfortable and be able to load for overnight when I'm ready vs waiting till late into the night (10-10:30) and then spending another 30 mins tending the air control. My only concern is more creosote from the multiple reloads.

I have thermos on pipe and stove so I can keep an eye out for too cool of flue. I shoot for surface flue temps of 300-350 on a small load as long as I can. But it dips to 225-250 for most of the burn. Stove top is usually 400-500. Are those temps ok?

This is something you'll just have to get a feel for. Different species of wood are going to behave differently and few of us are lucky enough to only have stacks of 1 species. It's far from a science in getting the right size load! In your case I think I'd just do more reloads and check the flue every month or so until you figure everything out.

Status
Not open for further replies.