Load Two from the Glory Pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
I took today off to have a four day weekend. Today, I went over to my friend's house and got a second load from his logged off property. I worked on part of a large Douglas Fir and finished the load off with some more maple. This load is 75% Douglas Fir and 25% Maple. I had a friend help today, thanks Hank! After dropping the load off at my sister's, I split and stacked about half of it, and my back said "STOP". Ibuprofen and iced tea are my friends tonight. There is still oodles of wood. Enjoy the pictures!

DSCN2621.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2622.JPG
    DSCN2622.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN2623.JPG
    DSCN2623.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN2625.JPG
    DSCN2625.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN2626.JPG
    DSCN2626.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN2627.JPG
    DSCN2627.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 171
Nice looking wood you have, too bad you dont have a trailer or know someone that does, you could make less trips.

Nice haul! Wood-handled maul...that's old-school right there. ==c

Thanks for the pictures. That must have been like a kid in a candy store with a sign saying "All-You-Can-Eat". Great score!

Nice looking wood you have, too bad you dont have a trailer or know someone that does, you could make less trips.

Yeah, that would be nice to have a trailer for sure. I'm not getting any younger, and about 1/2 cord load is good for me on a casual day, and I'm just about out of storage places, and still have wood to gather I cut a month or so ago, and a lot of splitting/stacking still to do. It's ash and apple wood out in a muddy area at my sister's house.

Nice haul! Wood-handled maul...that's old-school right there. ==c

I don't like the fiberglass handles, and like the wood handles much better. Those "old school" hickory handles have less give, and a more solid "hit". The fiberglass handles seem to have a rubbery and weird vibration feel to them that I don't like. The one and only fiberglass handled maul I owned broke in short order, years ago. How many baseball bats do you see made with fiberglass? :cool:

Thanks for the pictures. That must have been like a kid in a candy store with a sign saying "All-You-Can-Eat". Great score!

Yeah, I spent too much time saying, "which pile should I cut on?" There are three huge piles, and all easy pickin's. I'm about out of room now at the moment, until I can split and stack all that I have gathered this spring, or find another place to store wood.

" I'm about out of room now at the moment, until I can split and stack all that I have gathered this spring, or find another place to store wood."

So?
Lets get to splitting & stacking & storing. LOL :)
"Come on man" Your at the "Glory Pile"

If the wood isn't going anywhere, take a break. Let the soreness level off.
"Easy pickin's" is still hard work.
Ibuprofen the night before, that morning & that evening helps. But isn't a cure all.

Nice looking wood.
Good job!

I know, I'm such a whiner! :) I'm still stiff this morning.

I'll have to build one of those Alaska size wood shed's! :cool:

Reactions: ScotO
Ibuprofen the night before, that morning & that evening helps. But isn't a cure all.

You got it.Best to rest for a while if possible & not push yourself too hard.No fun having serious pain that takes longer to heal.I'm paying now for the dumb things I did 20-25 yrs ago.Nothing to prove now,the body tells me to stop,I listen.

" I'm about out of room now at the moment, until I can split and stack all that I have gathered this spring, or find another place to store wood."

So?
Lets get to splitting & stacking & storing. LOL :)
"Come on man" Your at the "Glory Pile"

Nice looking wood.
Good job!

I'm just about done splitting and stacking all my wood, maybe 1/4 cord left. I messed up the back of my right hand and wrist somehow splitting this past week, it smarts today !!, so I have been using Ibruprofen again. Wood cutting is NOT for the faint at heart for us grandfathers. :p;) My hand hurt picking up an EMPTY bag this morning, so something's up. :confused:

I haven't been able to get to the ash and apple wood I cut in April, due to the Oregon rain faucet in the sky, that makes the pasture too muddy to drive onto. It'll be July I think before I can get that load out.:eek:

Tomorrow, if the rain faucet lets up a little, I'll get my third load from the Glory Pile. I heard from my friend, that his friends have found the Glory Pile too, and about 15 truck loads of firewood have left his premises since I cut last ::-) . I better get in there before it's gone. He says he has reserved "my pile" for me, and the other piles are where he had the other friends cut on. :)

Lookin good, OB. Keep at it, before long yer gonna have stacks a mile long, just like bogyDave's!

Status
Not open for further replies.