Loading door gasket questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janky

Oct 15, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hey guys, how's it do? Long time reader/first time poster here, hoping to get a bit of advice. I have a Timberwolf EPI22 insert which will be going into it's second year of use here pretty darn soon. I had the flue swept and was getting ready to do the first small kindling fire of the season to start warming up the brick, when I noticed a funny looking spot on the gasket on the main door, where the two ends of the rope meet. I looked here for previous posts about this and didn't really find much, only one thread that mentioned putting a little bit of silicone in the gap and pushing the frayed ends of the rope into it. I haven't done anything with silicone, but when I touched the frayed end of that rope, most of the fibers just fell out of it. So now there's a gap there, and I'm pretty sure air is leaking in. It still passes the dollar bill test, but this one spot concerns me. Is there a way to deal with this without replacing the entire gasket? I doubt finding a 1/4" long piece of gasket rope would be possible... I've uploaded a picture, I would love to know what you knowledgeable folks think. Much thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0485.jpg
    IMAG0485.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 123
I'd probably just let it be for now. It may not be a big influence on the fire.

Thanks, begreen. I'll leave it alone for now and see how it looks when I've got the stove loaded up. I'm also in the Puget Sound region, quite the warm autumn we're having.

Yes, mid-October and nighttime temps are still in the 50's. Still not burning here. We're still harvesting peppers and tomatoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.