Loading N-S rather than E-W

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Fox

Jan 12, 2006
I've been burning wood for over 20 years. I am constantly learning more and more from this forum. Based upon reading posts regarding loading N-S vs E-W, I am now attempting my very first N-S burn (which is contrary to what the stove manual says to do). It is too early to really tell if there is much of a difference, but I'm not sure I'm that impressed with it ATT. It does appear that the wood burns more quickly in the N-S direction than E-W in this stove. BTW, other than being able to load longer pieces, why would a manufacturer stipulate loading E-W? Is it possible the performance of the stove is affected by the direction of the wood?

I think it has alot to do with how the air hits the load. I get longer burns out of E/W because the air goes across the splits. Now that we are in winter mode I'm loading almost all N/S to allow air to run down the length of the splits.

I'd rather have the clap than a stove that only burned EW. When we went looking for a new stove a few years ago I told the sales folks right away that we're NOT interested in an EW stove even if it were free.

My previous quad insert allowed NS, while the current one does not.
I really liked NS.

savageactor7 said:
I'd rather have the clap than a stove that only burned EW.

LMAO!!!!! I agree, but never in put it in that perspective.

Swamp Fox said:
I am now attempting my very first N-S burn (which is contrary to what the stove manual says to do)

You saw that in a BK manual?

SolarAndWood said:
Swamp Fox said:
I am now attempting my very first N-S burn (which is contrary to what the stove manual says to do)

Yeah...My manual (date printed 1/18/06) page 33 under the section "Operation" just after the section titiled "Initial Start-up Sequence"..."When nearly all the wood in the firebox is burning, finish loading the stove. Lay the wood front to back, as far to the back of the stove as possible. At this time you should close the bypass door." My interpretation of that is E-W if you are loading front to back (whereas if N-S would be side to side).

N/S only for me 99.9% of the time. A full E/W load is like trying to coordinate sex between two 6'2" people in the back of a damned Geo Metro.

Swamp Fox said:
SolarAndWood said:
Swamp Fox said:

Yeah...My manual (date printed 1/18/06) page 33 under the section "Operation" just after the section titiled "Initial Start-up Sequence"..."When nearly all the wood in the firebox is burning, finish loading the stove. Lay the wood front to back, as far to the back of the stove as possible. At this time you should close the bypass door." My interpretation of that is E-W if you are loading front to back (whereas if N-S would be side to side).

I read that as NS as in each split front to back with the end of the split pushed as far back in the stove as possible. Don't they say 18" for length somewhere? That only makes sense NS.

Carbon_Liberator said:
My compass broke a while back, so I'm not sure which way I'm loading my wood anymore. :-S

Don't worry, we're due for a magnetic reversal anyway. Soon, you'll be loading S/N! The mind reels!

SolarAndWood said:
Swamp Fox said:
SolarAndWood said:
Swamp Fox said:

I read that as NS as in each split front to back with the end of the split pushed as far back in the stove as possible. Don't they say 18" for length somewhere? That only makes sense NS.

WOW! I've been burning this stove wrong for four years! I just called Blaze King in Walla Walla, WA and they said they have tested and found that the stove does perform better when the wood IS placed N-S (with the ends facing the door). They also said some people may find it performs better in the E-W direction, depending on set up. So now, I'm going to let this load burn down, remove the ashes (leaving a good bed of coals) and tonight will fill her up in the N-S direction and see how that goes for me. Could it be that by burning this way, I'll have an easier time keeping my glass door clean?
Thanks! I stand corrected.

It sure is easier to reload with a decently sized coal bed by placing them n/s. Even with welding gloves and a leather jacket on, I don't like leaning that far into the stove when it is ~1500 degrees in there.

Carbon_Liberator said:
My compass broke a while back, so I'm not sure which way I'm loading my wood anymore. :-S

Just load the moldy side of the split straight on in, that'll give you True North :)

Swamp Fox said:
...My interpretation of that is E-W if you are loading front to back (whereas if N-S would be side to side).

Backwards. Rick

Swamp Fox said:
Could it be that by burning this way, I'll have an easier time keeping my glass door clean?

Not sure about that one, I don't think I've ever burned EW in the BK. My first fire in the BK was my first NS fire and it was like the clouds opened up and a ray of light came down from heaven.

hareball said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

Just load the moldy side of the split straight on in, that'll give you True North :)

Ah! great idea. :)
Just one more good reason to leave the bark on my wood. ;-)

savageactor7 said:
I'd rather have the clap than a stove that only burned EW. When we went looking for a new stove a few years ago I told the sales folks right away that we're NOT interested in an EW stove even if it were free.

I'd rather not have the clap at all. My Olympic is an E-W burner unless you want to cut pieces 14-16 inches. This thing has no issues burning wood so not sure why all the hate...

I've got an Englander 30. It has been a bit since I read the manual, but I'm pretty sure it said the stove likes N/S loading. So, I did that for a while. Now I go N/S for the first layer, and as someone else said, I go E/W for the next layer. All nighters, I go all N/S, as I can fit more in the firebox.

CB

savageactor7 said:

Well to each their own I suppose . . . I really don't mind having a stove that is pretty much only an EW burner . . . but then again that's what I grew up with and have always used (Ashley, Shenandoah and now a Jotul) . . . it really isn't that bad . . . but then again I've never had the clap either. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.