Loading the NC-30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Here's how I do a big load. Generally I don't load that high, but if I do, it's small dry stuff that burns off quickly.

First I scrape coals to the right (where the door cracked can blow air on it) then I start stacking from left to right biggest splits on the left and bottom.
8a492bf9.jpg

Next, I put some EW style in the front by the door. This is not something I generally do because I don't need more wood to get through the night, and I don't want a full load of coals in the AM. I want to start out with what you see above.
07dc9cea.jpg

Notice that you have to leave room for the latch on the right.

Now, the tricky part is closing down at he right time. Those logs in the front impair your ability to see the flames behind, so watch the temp carefully, and shut the door around 300-350 stovetop. Then around 400 shut down the primary all the way for long burn times, and halfway between closed and the edge of the ash lip if you want a hotter burn.

I'm finding that if I am in a hurry and I'm using good seasoned wood, that I can really let the box get engulfed and then slam everything closed and it will burn just fine, but get there slower and smoke for longer.

Wow, That's a bunch of wood in a 30! How does it do when it's loaded like that?

I don't remember what happened with that exact load, but if you look at that first picture and imagine it without those three small splits on top, that's generally what I do every 6-8 hours and get some pretty good burns. From 250-650 and then back down to 250 will get me 6 hours like that.

That full load will not get me much extra time over the 8 hours if I burn it hot, but it holds that secondary at 650-700 for a really long time and then when it's burned off most of the load it will just hoover around that 350 mark for what seems like a lifetime because all of the glowing coals in there.

I have been curious about moving the coals to the right instead of the front. I want to experiment with it but I have to be in the mood. I get friggin pi$$ed off when things don't ignite like I think they should. I lack patience sometimes. :-S
I have not experiemented with e/w either.

We've had pretty good luck burning no higher than the firebricks. For longer burns, loading larger diameter-ish splits.

Great stove you got!

Bill

That is a good size load, looks like in picture one on the bottom right you have some wet wood.

zap

Wow.... That is loaded. I just took this pic to post in the thread about packing a stove..

This is an average load. I try to keep it around firebrick level. This one is a little higher in spots, but I get up at 4:30 for work. Just loaded it 10 min ago. I normally pack it a little tighter, but dont have to last long tonight and there will be Plenty to re-light in 7.5 hrs.

Never tried the coals to the right yet. Read a few of your posts stating that. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow. The right side, is the side that keeps wood the longest and gets the least airflow (in my set-up). Is this the reason you do it on the right?

Attachments

• 30nc.jpg
    30nc.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 983
This is the same load. In the time it took me to type the last post (posting from the Droid Bionic). Within 15 min, got secondaries and damn near shut down.

Thats the only reason I like to load N/S and leave a 1" gap in front of the doghouse. To let that super heated air, run to the back of the stove and come across the top of the secondaries. If I block it, I get a large flame in the front of the box. Which isnt bad. But takes longer to get to temp. Stove is in the basement, so the quicker it gets going and I can turn it down. The better off I am with the Wife.....

Definitely trying the coals to the right thing tomorrow after work...

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 968
zapny said:
That is a good size load, looks like in picture one on the bottom right you have some wet wood.

zap

Good eye, Zap !

On the plus side, the rest of that wood should offset the wetter piece of firewood.

We've noticed that the 13 gets more air & fires better from the left side. Must be the air coming in through the cracked door on start up.

I would imagine that the 30 is more like loading the PE, only a bigger firebox.

Danno I sure hope Dennis doesn't spy that wet split. ;-P

How long of a stick can you load N/S in a 30 NC?

Hardrockmaple said:
How long of a stick can you load N/S in a 30 NC?

16-18 inches is a nice fit. It will take a 20 before getting too close to the front. I'd give you an exact number if it weren't cranking at the moment.

pen

zapny said:

zap
Merely minimal surface moisture my good sir...that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Danno77 said:
zapny said:

zap
Merely minimal surface moisture my good sir...that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

What type of wood was that Danno, looks like some nice hardwood.

zap

Well, I'm on my phone here, but I think that wet piece looks like oak. There's definitely some Black Walnut in there, and I think one piece on the left is Hickory.

Danno77 said:
zapny said:

zap

You are soooooooooooo busted
action-smiley-060.gif

I'll try this loading method... if we ever get down to -20F around here.

Normally a load like that would make it well over 90 in the house.

-SF

I loaded my 30 with 5 slabs of 2 year old white oak totaling 70 lbs and got a 12+ hour burn. If you load on coals and it doesn't ignite quickly just hit it with a match and it will take off. I use a propane torch.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 873
mtcates said:
I loaded my 30 with 5 slabs of 2 year old white oak totaling 70 lbs and got a 12+ hour burn. If you load on coals and it doesn't ignite quickly just hit it with a match and it will take off. I use a propane torch.

There is my favorite overnight load.

BrotherBart said:
mtcates said:

There is my favorite overnight load.

You can get lots and lots of beauty sleep with that load BB.... :lol:
Quite impressive load. I would love to see that fired up.

I spied that wet split right off. I've got them too this year.

mtcates said:
That's a nicely loaded stove, boy do I miss those days. Throwing bags of pellets in a hopper just doesn't give you the same thrill :)

I picked up on that wet split up above too, but I wasn't gonna say anything! Those 30's can take huge loads heh? My DW was similar to load from the side door. Couldn't fit nearly as much wood though.

Status
Not open for further replies.