Loading the Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
As folks talk about their overnight burns they typically mention "loading" the stove. I have loaded as much as five logs, which is about 2/3 full, and ended up with 8 hours of heat. When you say loading the stove are you talking to the top of the firebricks or above and a tight or a loose load.

Much Thanks

I loaded mine up last night front to back to the bottom of the secondary air tubes @ 9 PM. Got up this morning at 4:15 to a very nice bed of hot coals. A tighter load will burn longer as air can't circulate as freely.

I've found that if I'm going to really pack the stove, I need to make sure I have a good bed of coals. If not, the reduced air circulation can make it harder for the fire to get established without smoldering.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.