"Local code approval"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCOOPER

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2010
Stowe, Pa
Local code people typically don't know anything about codes or anything else for that matter. Local governments adopt codes that come from somewhere else like, BOCA and NFPA. I hate seing check local code responses. Its either safe or it isn't. Do you think Dexter will have 3000 post before his year here is up? That is all...

Lots of us point peeps toward local code, Specially when its a very sketchy install! Least we can do is tell them to read the manual!

So if your gona point fingers, You can point one at me too! ;-)

If I keep them short...... and people read them... Then I say, highly likely.

Keeping them short is the hard part.

And making sure it is up to snuff is the "consumers" job. It doesnt cost me a thing if there house burns down because something wasnt right. (Like being installed in a bedroom) Go ahead. Its your misfortune if something happens. My home has already caught on Fire. Knowing 1st hand the severity that a fire can do, may change your mind. I believe J-takeman is the only one that knows that story.

And it wasnt due to a stove. Just to let you know. Was a candle. A simple candle. Crushed us. Destroyed almost everything. Just knowing the damage a stove can do, its vitally important to follow Manuf recommendations. If you get approval OK. But if not, why jeopardize your family and yourself. If you dont like to see safety posts, then skip over them or block my posts.

Please dont call me out because I care. . . . . :-(

Have you had a house fire?

The empty can rattles the most.

Its obvious Dexters a post whore.

Haha, just f'in with ya Dex.

I'm also guilty of the "local code approval" advice.

Just tryin to protect peeps that might not be informed.

What ever happened to D.B. Cooper anyway?

Advice carries a big responsibility, especially with fire. So yes, Dexter is correct.

Check and double check codes, instructions and then some. Better safe than sorry.

And I for one, enjoy Dexter's and Js posts very much.

I am a post reading slut. Guilty as charged. Part of my addiction.

smoke show said:
The empty can rattles the most.

Its obvious Dexters a post whore.

Haha, just f'in with ya Dex.

I'm also guilty of the "local code approval" advice.

Just tryin to protect peeps that might not be informed.

What ever happened to D.B. Cooper anyway?

Hater's!!! LOL. I know when your just goofin Smoke.. . . Some dont know my whole Fire story. Maybe one day, I will tell all. Till then Jay knows. And he got the short 5 paragraph version through PM one day.

As for D.B.???

I found that money long ago. Thats how I bought all my stoves!

You guys are taking it all wrong. What I'm saying is the locals may adopt any code they wish. Do the locals adopt and enforce NFPA 2003 0r NFPA 2010 and what is the difference, If someone say they are going to install a pellet stove in their garage, posting check local codes doesnt't quite get it. If you wanted to post that in the NFPA code says you should not install a pellet stove in a garage or any place that there is gasoline or flamable liquids then you would be saying something. Is a garage that has been converted to living space still a garage?

Dexter, just poking a little fun...

I just installed my first pellet stove/vent, so I called the planning dept at the town hall to set up an inspection. The lady on the phone tells me that its all set, the inspector will be out sometime in the next couple of days. There was long pause, so finally I say "Ok, is he going to call me with a time?". She replies, "Oh, you want him to call you before he comes out?"

Does anyone have any examples of where the manufacturer's instructions differ from their local codes?

Checkthisout said:
Does anyone have any examples of where the manufacturer's instructions differ from their local codes?

Situations where covenants prohibit the installation of venting through roofs or exterior walls which are visible from the street.

If sealant is used on venting pipe in Falmouth, MA ...its got to be "RED" RTV not clear and termination plates must be used in all insert applications regardless of whether the chimney is ont he end of the house or in the center.

NO solid fuel stove may be installed in a rental unit within Boston City limits

There are more...

smwilliamson said:
Checkthisout said:

Situations where covenants prohibit the installation of venting through roofs or exterior walls which are visible from the street.

If sealant is used on venting pipe in Falmouth, MA ...its got to be "RED" RTV not clear and termination plates must be used in all insert applications regardless of whether the chimney is ont he end of the house or in the center.

NO solid fuel stove may be installed in a rental unit within Boston City limits

There are more...

Well ok, but I was thinking more along the lines of the mechanics rather than the aesthetics of the installation so let me focus on 1.

What's a termination plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.