Local cost for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Upper Westchester County. You'll pay more for anything in Westchester County. It is the land of the wealthy. As the years pass you will hopefully connect with the right backwoods people who'll give you a decent price. Inquire in the Putnam county area. The further north the better the price.

Down here in the Upper South a FULL cord of kiln dried is $300. Back when we lived in your neck of the woods (New Canaan) I think the wife paid $200 for a face cord of kiln dried delivered and stacked perfectly with your deck swept afterwards. As we only burned for "decorative" purposes back then we'd buy one to one and and a half and call it a winter. That was back in the pre-financial crises days when I still had a viable career...

Face cords range from 60-90 (wouldn't trust a single one to actually be selling truly seasoned firewood). The best deal in town is a local farm that sells about 80 cords a year. I see em split and stack it all in March/April and sell it in October. That is about as seasoned as it gets and they sell out in about 2 weeks at 75$ a face cord.

Full cords are similar 180-240.

Buying 2-5 cords at a time can save you some and bring the price per cord to ~160-220

The biggest concern is many places will sell you 1-2 cords at a time because that is what they can deliver with their truck and trailer.

I've gone around asking for 5-10 cords and pricing and no-one will deliver or offer that except for 2-3 larger tree services and they want a 150$ deliver fee.

I order from a forester log length 8-10 foot sections. Anywhere from 11-22 cords at a time. Get it for 100$ a cord. But have to c/s/s it myself. Lots of work but for 10 cords the savings is pretty huge.

Rent a u-haul, take a field trip down to central NJ and I'll sell you up 2+ year <20% wood for $150/real cord.

Here green is around $170-$180/cord. "Seasoned" as in cut down in spring and cut to order in fall goes for $200 to $250. I get kiln-dried (av. 20 % mm) for a bargain $265/cord, but the big lumber mill upstate charges $350-plus for kiln-dried plus $30 or $40 delivery-- impossibly pricey, but man, it's gourmet firewood, 18-20 mm, clean, beautifully evenly cut stuff.

I'm in the middle of farm country, and I do notice the going rate for nearby "cities" (or what passes for them in VT) is $20 to $50/cord higher for green or "seasoned."

This year I'm in pig heaven with about 3 cords of mixed beech, black birch and hickory, and another 1 cord-plus of yellow birch, white ash, black cherry, some white birch and a smattering of red maple, all around 20 mm. I think I'm actually going to be able to stay warm this winter.

I can get a cord split and delivered for $200 all day long.

It is seasoned according to the guy selling it but the truth is it was split this year and was laying bucked in his back yard for a year or so. If you are looking for some better sources there is a place in Cheshire on old school road selling a block fire wood which is scraps from pallets making. There is the same kind of place on John Downey Drive in New Britain. They are relatively cheap. If I remember correctly for $200 you would get an equivalent of 3 cords. Also just passed twin city plaza on Newington Ave in New Britain where Koval Corp. used to be they sell fire wood splits stacked on pallets and surround wrapped. I never bought it so I am not sure how much they want for it but I heard it's seasoned. I live in Bristol.

Reactions: BillLion
It is seasoned according to the guy selling it but the truth is it was split this year and was laying bucked in his back yard for a year or so. If you are looking for some better sources there is a place in Cheshire on old school road selling a block fire wood which is scraps from pallets making. There is the same kind of place on John Downey Drive in New Britain. They are relatively cheap. If I remember correctly for $200 you would get an equivalent of 3 cords. Also just passed twin city plaza on Newington Ave in New Britain where Koval Corp. used to be they sell fire wood splits stacked on pallets and surround wrapped. I never bought it so I am not sure how much they want for it but I heard it's seasoned. I live in Bristol.

$100-$110 in south central Missouri, generally delivered for that price.

Hi there,

I am a new owner of a wood stove insert. I've been doing some searching locally (Westchester County, NY) for firewood to purchase. I haven't yet checked with the local tree companies, but several kiln drying companies that deliver to my area offer "face cords" for around $300 delivered. If I am reading that right, that's around $900/cord. Does that seem insane? Is this just the NYC/Westchester standard upcharge?

Thanks,
Carl
Carl try this guy and see if he delivers accross the bridge he is in west nyack the price was 175 @ cord 1 1/2 years ago 845-406-5627 wifes name is Olivea

Agh -ESPN land! :) Thanks for the tips. I am set for this season and working to get ahead. But some of our fellow CT residents may benefit from this!

Maine-Seeing green cut, split, delivered $190-$210. Tree length/8 footers $120ish. Season dried? Forget that this time of year, can't find it.

Hi there,

I am a new owner of a wood stove insert. I've been doing some searching locally (Westchester County, NY) for firewood to purchase. I haven't yet checked with the local tree companies, but several kiln drying companies that deliver to my area offer "face cords" for around $300 delivered. If I am reading that right, that's around $900/cord. Does that seem insane? Is this just the NYC/Westchester standard upcharge?

Thanks,
Carl

Here in Jersey just south of Warwick NY the going price for good burnable wood is $200, up from $175 for the previous few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.