Local Meteorologists

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Here in the shenandoah valley we have an amateur meteorologist pair on the FB called the "Coloumbia Furnace Storm Team". They often call serious events 24-36 hours faster than the big boys, with greater accuracy to boot. They are easily 5 for 6 out doing them with big events this year.The page also serves as a great forum for local road conditions in our rural area. Anyone else have a reliable weather hound in their neck of the woods?

We have a pretty good bunch in the DC market too. Used to have one that called storms that everybody missed. Bill Kamal. He went to work for a station in Florida but got thrown in jail years ago for setting up a meeting with what he thought was a 14 year old boy in a truck stop.

Bad forecast.

I tune into a local radio station pretty much solely for the news and weather report as "their" weather guy is spot on . . . but it's Fleet Weather out of the CT/NY area. No hype. Pretty accurate.

The weather guessers here in Arkansas get it right about once or twice a year.

The weather guessers here in Arkansas get it right about once or twice a year.
Same for Georgia/Alabama according to my sister down there.

I live in a ski / tourist area. No matter what all winter they forecast for more snow than we get, then after the storm they lie about how much actually fell. It's humorous once you give up hope on hoping for a real forecast and decide to just enjoy the show.
They also will deny a rainy weekend right up until Friday afternoon if it's a long summer weekend wit big tourist $$$ expected.

Reactions: PapaDave
I live in a ski / tourist area. No matter what all winter they forecast for more snow than we get, then after the storm they lie about how much actually fell. It's humorous once you give up hope on hoping for a real forecast and decide to just enjoy the show.
They also will deny a rainy weekend right up until Friday afternoon if it's a long summer weekend wit big tourist $$$ expected.

wow - we have some small ski/tourist spots, but they aren't big enough to wag the dog like that.

wow - we have some small ski/tourist spots, but they aren't big enough to wag the dog like that.

News calls the mountains for snow totals, mountains embellish a bit to look good, news writes it down and reports it, and so it is. I can be standing in the fresh onre inch of snow that fell in Waterville Valley NH, I can look at my phone and it'll say they just got "6" of fresh snow". Granted the mountains are tough to forecast, but even the people that work at the ski areas laugh at how they call the mountain for the "snow totals". It's like a food critic calling a restaurant and asking the manager if the food is any good.

Similar in the summer, it's never going to rain, until it rains. Or it's only going to rain over night mid week. ==c

Obviously, it's the weather and you can expect a margin of error, they just happen to lean in one direction most of the time. Most of the people I know go to the local college meteorology website for their weather or to a Boston station, cause the "NH News" has us under 20' of non existent snow already.

Status
Not open for further replies.