Local news warns about firewood being no good

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
http://m.wfsb.com/w/main/story/79312783/#

Love how they think that burning pine will destroy your chimney and stove. I'm sure some of the wood
Is crap from the storm. But a lot of it probably just needs to be seasoned and it'll be just fine.

Love how they think that burning pine will destroy your chimney and stove. I'm sure some of the wood
Is crap from the storm. But a lot of it probably just needs to be seasoned and it'll be just fine.

did you read his quote
"I've been doing it for 40 years," he said. "I can tell you a good piece of wood from a bad one."

No doubt burning a smoke dragon all those years, good opportunity to warn people about letting wood season and you get a smoke dragon user giving advice :confused:

Yes, beware the sappy "Bad Wood". Excellent reporting there. Good grief.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
"That (sap) lines and coats the chimney and eventually chokes the opening of the chimney down to the point where the chimney won't function," Smith said.

Pretty funny.

If you are looking for bias in the media, I am pretty sure that a main sponsor of their news program is Lehigh Oil.

Sometimes so-called experts are anything but . . .

Personally folks that think they know it all just because they've been doing something the same way for a very long time make me worried . . . I mean there is something to be said about experience, but there's also something to be said for learning new information, new techniques, etc. . . . if it wasn't for the advancement of learning us firefighters would still be using leather buckets filled with water to put out fires.

did you read his quote

No doubt burning a smoke dragon all those years, good opportunity to warn people about letting wood season and you get a smoke dragon user giving advice :confused:

Whoa, whoa, wait. Let's not read too far between the lines here. Owning a smoke dragon (which this guy may or may not) does not make this guy a fool or imply that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Whoa, whoa, wait. Let's not read too far between the lines here. Owning a smoke dragon (which this guy may or may not) does not make this guy a fool or imply that he doesn't know what he's doing.

He had to be when he started since epa stoves werent out 40 years ago, his lack of knowledge leads me to the rest of my conclusion.

I'd be more suspicious that what went into the WSFB staff's ears didn't make it back out onto their keyboards.

So ecocavalier, have you considered trying to get them to print the real truth? How about sending a letter to the editor?

Reactions: ScotO
Dennis i should.

You should do like biggredd says. Or even take it a bit further and write in with a story about how you had pine stacked up about 50ft from your house, it spontaneously combusted, rose up, floated into the chimney and started another chimney fire. That stuff's dangerous, you'd just be doing a public service :)

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Smoke dragon owner here and I don't think I'm an idiot. Figure I'm a lot smarter than a lot of the people out there. I burn the most seasoned wood I can get.

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
Weatherguy, pretty ignorant statement there. I have a "smoke dragon" and I love it. Don't have to worry about burning the house down, bugs coming in with wood, smoke in the house, ashes in the house, and it is the same temperature in every room. I burn dry seasoned wood. I grew up with an insert so I have experience with both. Its amazing how so many people on here think they are better than every one else.

Weatherguy, pretty ignorant statement there. I have a "smoke dragon" and I love it. Don't have to worry about burning the house down, bugs coming in with wood, smoke in the house, ashes in the house, and it is the same temperature in every room. I burn dry seasoned wood. I grew up with an insert so I have experience with both. Its amazing how so many people on here think they are better than every one else.

Well, many are. Just ask.

Sad thing here folks is just how obviously biased the media is, and how alot of gullible people buy everything the media tells them. Which is why our country is in the shape its in today.

Good to see you Ecocavalier.......was wondering where you've been!

Status
Not open for further replies.