Local price drop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
So the big box stores are holding at $229.00 a ton

I was shocked to see that my local coal dealer dropped barefoot down from $280 a ton down to $250 a ton!

Anyone else seeing price drops?

Prices at the 2 lumber yards selling/delivering pellets here in Pittsfield Ma. area are as follows:
1..................LP Adams (Dalton Ma) $315 per ton-Heartland brand
2..................Dettinger (Pittsfield) $305 for Maine Pellets (80% hardwood and 20% soft) and $335 for Energex
NO discount to pickup your own from either place.

That`s why I need to buy a trailer , fetch my own from alternative sellers in the area and let these thieves stick theirs where the sun don`t shine.
Folks who are unable to fetch their own are at the mercy of those who would prey upon them.

Gio,

Go to Lowes or HD and rent their truck for a couple house (I think $30 plus gas). You can pick up your pellets (2 - 3 trips) and bring back the truck. Depending on where you live you should be able to do this for around $15.00 per ton. At that rate how many times (years) woudl it take you to pay off the trailer plus you do not need to deal with registering it and maintanence.

Trust me this is the cheapest method.

Just my two cents.

Trickyrick said:
Gio,

Go to Lowes or HD and rent their truck for a couple house (I think $30 plus gas). You can pick up your pellets (2 - 3 trips) and bring back the truck. Depending on where you live you should be able to do this for around $15.00 per ton. At that rate how many times (years) woudl it take you to pay off the trailer plus you do not need to deal with registering it and maintanence.

Just my two cents.
Thats could be an option but you would be obligated to buy whatever brand pellet they sold.
Other options I have are:
1.....go halves/3rds with 2 of my pellet burning neighbors on a good trailer that we both/all 3 can use for pellet deals.
2.....Take a friend up on his offer to pick up my pellets with his lift gate truck. (case of beer)

Gio said:
Trickyrick said:
Gio,

Just my two cents.
Thats could be an option but you would be obligated to buy whatever brand pellet they sold.
1.....go halves/3rds with 2 of my pellet burning neighbors on a good trailer that we both/all 3 can use for pellet deals.
2.....Take a friend up on his offer to pick up my pellets with his lift gate truck. (case of beer)

Gio- I think that Trickyrick was saying you could just rent their truck and not have to buy their crappy pelllets and go to the dealer of your choice. I have not done this but am aware of the truck rentals at these stores.

Utilitrack said:
Gio said:
Trickyrick said:
Gio,

Just my two cents.

Gio- I think that Trickyrick was saying you could just rent their truck and not have to buy their crappy pelllets and go to the dealer of your choice. I have not done this but am aware of the truck rentals at these stores.

Thanks, I did give that a thought . But is that legal? Do you have to sign any kind of agreement that the truck is to be used only for transporting their goods?

I took this off HD site.
It appears that your start time begins right after your truck rental is loaded.

"Our trucks allow you to get large items home safely, without damaging your vehicle with an oversized load. It's easy to rent a truck. Plus, the first hour is actually 75 minutes long - in most cases, more than enough time to get home and back. And charges don't begin until your purchase is loaded. Just stop by the Special Services Desk or Tool Rental Center and present your driver's license, a valid vehicle insurance card and a major credit card or The Home Depot® Credit Card. After making your purchases, simply sign the rental agreement and you'll be ready to go."

Gio said:
....Do you have to sign any kind of agreement that the truck is to be used only for transporting their goods?

No, you can use it for whatever you want, afaik.

Gio said:
Trickyrick said:
Gio,

Just my two cents.

NO BRAINAH....................#2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't mean to make anyone feel bad, but I can buy ArborPellets for $130/ton in 10 ton lots. Seems a major offer stock around the country. I have all I need for this year, and ten ton would last me about four years, but I may split an order with a few others for next year.

While not for pellets I rented a HD truck and moved something that was too much for my 1500 sierra.

Again it all depends on location. Obviously is a better situation if you are going to buy their pellets but I didn't have a problem getting the truck to move something to the dump.

;-P

Prices starting to drop in my area at one dealer prices drop 20 to 30 dollars a ton
235.00 for O'Malleys
269.00 for Turmans, Lignetics (Blend), Wood Pellet Company
289.00 for Hammer Hot ones

At another dealer
235.00 for Lignetics (Blend)

These dealers about 10 minutes from house

On the way home I can get these at another dealer
207.00 Energex (hardwood) Eagle on bag
and 195.00 for O'Malleys

Box stores down to 249.00

These are pickup not sure on price for delivery

hossthehermit said:
Gio said:
Trickyrick said:
Gio,

Just my two cents.

No brainer for sure Hoss. I`ll probably ask him once since he offered but I`m a guy who hates to bother anyone or having to depend on someone .

Gio said:
hossthehermit said:
Gio said:
Trickyrick said:
Gio,

Just my two cents.

No brainer for sure Hoss. I`ll probably ask him once since he offered but I`m a guy who hates to bother anyone or having to depend on someone .

I know how ya feel about puttin' a buddy out But, if he offered....... You could always help him drink the beer

Gio said:
Trickyrick said:
Gio,

Just my two cents.

do this then you can drink your(his) beer whille u unload it hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.