Local wildlife - the Fox has an itch...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
And was laying in the road scratching it for 20 minutes!

Attachments

• foxy.jpg
    foxy.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 623
  • foxy2.jpg
    foxy2.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 639
  • foxy3.jpg
    foxy3.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 645
20 minutes? That's a freakin problem...he needs some Gold bond... :lol:
Is it me or is he kinda skinny?

I think its rabies Craig....that fox looks similar to some raccoons I have seen around here with Rabies....very lethargic and they just sit in once place and don't move.
Probably time for animal control to come out.

Yeah, that's not normal behavior. I saw raccoons in Northern Virginia like that...out in broad daylight, apparently unaware or unafraid...acting very un-raccoon-like. One afternoon, one of my dogs was barking at a raccoon on the other side of a chain link fence, and when I went out to see what the fuss was, the dang raccoon charged the fence like it was gonna go after my dog. That ain't normal, and is symptomatic of rabies. Give that fox a wide berth, Craig. And, as Dave suggests, you may want to give animal control a call. I would. Rick

Another vote for animal control. I have seen fox tamed to the point of pet (ooop nort in Canada), but this seems a bit strange. If it is healthy, it would probably be re-released.

He looks a bit thin, but red foxes can be very suburban and quasi-tame.

I will name him.....speedbump.

the fox at mom's house went nose to nose with her pet cat...actually trying to get it to play with him. you know, short jumps-back and forth with the front legs extended outward and downward in front of him. the cat just wanted to let him know that "this is my territory".
had two foxes in the yard this past summer. didn't even enter my mind that they may be rabid.

does the fox exhibit any signs of rabies, other than being seen in daylight in a residential area? kinda like all the foxes on the golf course... (and before the rest of you chime in, the golf courses also have cougars, wolves and pigs...)

the fox looks healthy to me

looks young. it will fluff out with its winter coat too.

his eyes look pretty clear in that first pic... kind of possessed though.

Scratching his butt means worms and all wild omnivores will have worms. All in all he looks healthy for a summer time fox. Pelt is clean and well kept, no chunks of hair or skin missing, not salivating or panting. Only concern would be the daytime thing but not totally alarming for a suburban animal. Twice, I've had one running down the edge of a busy 5 lane road in my city at 5pm but he was fine.

fv

Never seen on moving in the daylight! Odd.

Never seen a rabid animal so no comment there..

but

I do live in an area where we have a lot of foxes and they do come out during the day and are not spooked by people anymore. They just keep a certain distance away - even with dogs present…

Have even seen coyotes here lately but they aren't as tame and give a wide berth to people but will go after pets….

Foxes usually leave dogs alone but cats do go missing here-a-bouts.

If in doubt - a call to animal control would a least let you know if any cases of rabies have been reported in your neck of the woods lately…..better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.