location of dampner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
im finishing up installing the interior pipe of my blazeking smokedragon, and was wondering how many inches from the top of the stove should i place the dampner in my single wall stove pipe? is there a general rule on this?

Ray

Not familar with a Blazeking, but you likely don't even need or really want a damper.

As to where to put the damper, the old school theory was to put the damper as far as possible from the stove, the pipe then being able to radiate the most heat.

Aparently these days, some people disagree with that theory, and I am sure they will show up shortly to let you know why.

As a rule of thumb, I seem to remember 18" off the top of the stove,
but it should be high enuff to keep any youngsters from being able to
reach it.
You don't want any inexperienced hands touching it & opening or closing it when you're not around...
If your total chimney height is less than 22 feet from the top of the stove to the cap, you
probably will not need one one.
Then again, you can always install one & NOT ever use it.

i just want it incase i have to try to choke out the fire, then i can shut the intake and the exhaust both.

thanks

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.