Location of Expansion Tank with Flat Plate Heat Exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

headrc

Mar 28, 2008
MidEast Tennessee
In all of my reading I have been led to believe that the location of an expansion tank in a closed loop system should be right before any pumps. This leads me to believe that this should be the same when creating a closed loop system using a heat exchanger ....meaning that the expansion tank/air separator etc. should be located right after the feed coming out of the other side of the heat exchanger that creates the closed loop before going to the pump(s) for all zones in a primary/secondary loop arrangement using the heat exchanger. (I hope this wasn't too confusing!) Anybody feel otherwise?

Thx again, RH

My understanding is the same, that the best place for the expansion tank is in close proximity to the circ pump input. That said, I think they are often located elsewhere without apparent problem, and many plumbing diagrams show them elsewhere.

headrc said:
In all of my reading I have been led to believe that the location of an expansion tank in a closed loop system should be right before any pumps. This leads me to believe that this should be the same when creating a closed loop system using a heat exchanger ....meaning that the expansion tank/air separator etc. should be located right after the feed coming out of the other side of the heat exchanger that creates the closed loop before going to the pump(s) for all zones in a primary/secondary loop arrangement using the heat exchanger. (I hope this wasn't too confusing!) Anybody feel otherwise?

Correct, excepting that, if possible, the pump should be before the heat exchanger (and the tank before the pump). The heat exchanger is a significant head loss, so it should be first in line after the pump.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.