??location of manufacture of a Fisher Grandpa.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenley

Oct 14, 2013
Staunton, VA
i bought a house this summer that had a Fisher Grandpa stove. a bit rusty from being in a damp basement otherwise seems to be fine. i fired it up last week when the missus got chilly. works fine.

i have poked around the everything Fisher looking for a way to determine where this one was built and when. it has trees and stars but no 76. the serial number on the back is:
DBFP

any way of telling where it was built.

thanks for any help.

Dunn Brothers bought the license for Virgina and West Virginia.
Yours is a 1977. Actually a "stove number" not serial number until UL listings much later began. The 1216th stove they built. The 76 was omitted in the large star on right door, then the stars were dropped all together.
Check out the Fisher Stove Story for info on how they got involved making and selling stoves. It's a quick read with tons of info!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/bob-fisher/

The book can be read online by clicking "attachments" tab at top of page. It is scanned in 3 pdf files; enjoy.

Reactions: webbie
Here's a 1977 dealers list giving the Virginia address of where it was made;

Fisher dealers 1977.jpg

Google Map; 1129 Florida Street, Salem, VA for a decent street view.

In 1979 it became E&W Machine as it remains today; http://www.eandwmachine.com/company.html

I assume the Dunns went on to expand like many others to larger fabricating facilities.

Reactions: webbie
thanks!! great info. i appreciate the information on this site.

i expect to add a baffle. having read the thread it does not seem that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.