Location of my ash...what is going on???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
I have a Thelin 3000 parlour and I love the stove...lots of comments from my friends and plenty of heat....my issue is that most of my ash goes to the right side of the firebox...the left side gets about 20% of the ash. The Thelin has no ash tray so the ash is left inside the firebox...I can't figure out why the ash is left only on one side...it's a issue because I have to shut the stove off to clean the ash on that one side...if the ash was evenly left on both sides the stove could burn longer...any ideas on this..I'll add a photo later tomorrow..

I know nothing about that stove, or any other stove for that matter, but with mine, most of the ash, is on the right side due to the exhaust blower being on that side.

Depending on how the Combustion blower pulls the air through the firebox/baffles. Will depend on how the ash is displaced.

There are a few stoves out there there, that have such prevelant air flow, that the air wash is effected also.

I agree 100%. I have a Quad Castile that does the same thing and that is where the exhaust blower is.

Both the Castile and Sante Fe have the exhaust blower on the right BUT the airflow goes up the left side of the firebox and above the baffle. I think it has more to do with how the airflow swirls out of the burn pot. On which side of the pot does the air exit into the firebox might influence the buildup. My Castile piles it up on the left side while the Sante Fe piles it on the right. Go figure!!!

Where's your ash? You don't know how badly I wanted to say right next to a hole in the ground!!!! :red: %-P

My castile used to pile ash on the right side but I noticed there was a rope gasket on the left side to stop the airflow from going behind the far left edge behind the 'brick' but not on the right. I added one on the right so the air has to go up past the tubes and to the blower. It is much more even now.

Countryboymo said:
My castile used to pile ash on the right side but I noticed there was a rope gasket on the left side to stop the airflow from going behind the far left edge behind the 'brick' but not on the right. I added one on the right so the air has to go up past the tubes and to the blower. It is much more even now.

That's interesting! Any chance of getting a picture?

I will try to snap one tomorrow. I purchased my stove used... does yours not have any rope gaskets on either side behind the fire brick plates?

I was thinking about this ash problem on my Thelin...I think I'm going to make a ash pan that will go into the right side of the firebox..that way I can reach in when the stove is on and lift the pan out..thus this might give me some extra burning time until the left side needs to be cleaned out..the Thelin pellet stove's (the 3000 Parlour) lacks an ash pan..so it need to be cleaned out often..some pellets I have burnt requires me to clean the right side out around every 8-10 hours of burn time...I think each side only holds about a a quart of ash...Another option I might try is to deflect the air under the firebox...this way I might be able to re-direct the ash flying around in the firebox..thus deposit it evenly on both sides of the firebox...

bigruckus said:
I was thinking about this ash problem on my Thelin...I think I'm going to make a ash pan that will go into the right side of the firebox..that way I can reach in when the stove is on and lift the pan out..thus this might give me some extra burning time until the left side needs to be cleaned out..the Thelin pellet stove's (the 3000 Parlour) lacks an ash pan..so it need to be cleaned out often..some pellets I have burnt requires me to clean the right side out around every 8-10 hours of burn time...I think each side only holds about a a quart of ash...Another option I might try is to deflect the air under the firebox...this way I might be able to re-direct the ash flying around in the firebox..thus deposit it evenly on both sides of the firebox...

That's one of the most unique looking pellet stoves I have ever seen.

Can you snap some pics of the inside of the stove?

The white ones look like R2D2 :lol:

l7c2i

Later today I will clean it up...it's a very nice stove...very different and the fit and finish are beyond any other I've seen...it has a real glossy enamel cobalt blue finish on the cast iron parts...only thing is you have to clean it AS LEAST once a week..I did take a shot of the stove burning...as you can see the ash build up already is higher on the right side...

Attachments

• 11s.jpg
    11s.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 404
76brian said:
The white ones look like R2D2 :lol:

l7c2i

Nice looking in white..I wanted the white one but all they had was one left in the cobalt blue and I got it for $1500.00...it was a deal I could not pass up just for the color...I know they sell for around $3500.00...the place I bought it from was dropping the brand...now he sells Harman's only..

My stove shut off so I could get in to look at the rope gaskets behind the back cast iron pieces. The only gasket behind either one is the gasket that goes around the 3 sides of the drop tube. There is no gasket on the outboard sides of the openings where the cast pieces go.

I don't think I have any rope gasket around the drop tube... This is one down side of buying a used stove. I assume the rope is around the top of the tube and the left side furthest away from the blower and around and across the bottom?

I apologize for this hi-jacking the thread.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 295
The Castile has had a number of changes involving gasketing over the years IIRC.

Perhaps someone who regularly sells and services them will drop by.

Countryboymo said:
I don't think I have any rope gasket around the drop tube... This is one down side of buying a used stove. I assume the rope is around the top of the tube and the left side furthest away from the blower and around and across the bottom?

I apologize for this hi-jacking the thread.

No, on my INSERT the rope goes up the left side, across the top, and down the right side of the drop tube. No other rope is seen anywhere. the same setup is on my Sante Fe insert.

I just figured the reasoning was to keep the air/ash from going right through the small holes on either side at the bottom especially on the combustion blower side to make the air flow around before heading out. I had one on the left side when I bought the stove and thought it was odd and added one on the right and I have had a lot less ash build up on the right side since. I added the rope around the tube today and for kicks removed the side ropes and fired it up. I noticed with no ropes that any sparks or ash pieces high tail it to the hole next to the plate and out telling me there is a pretty good air current heading to the blower which only makes sense. I shut the stove down and put the side ropes back in. It is too warm to run it so it is off at the moment.

My ash is even on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.