Location of pump??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
In another thread I saw one fella states his boiler is higher than his DHW exchanger and hot air exchanger so the pump is in the basement.

This got me thinking, I know the pain goes away after a while.

My Tarm is on the first floor of my home (in it's own addition of my utility room)

My 1,000 gallon tank, and oil boiler (that all this is connected to) is in the basement.

Should my pump be in the basement?

I am also wondering if I should have 2 pumps. I have 200' of copper coil (3/4") in the tank and about 60 feet total of 1" pex connecting the tank and Tarm.

I am thinking of adding a second pump so there will be one on the supply and return line.

Thanks, the pain is easing already
Eric

I'll let the guys who actually know what they're talking about answer this one. My take is that one pump is enough, except that you might need a second if you're mixing down to deliver a cooler temp to the radiant zones.

You want the pump in a spot where it won't ever run dry, but otherwise it's not that critical in most installations. There's an argument to be made that you want it just downstream of the expansion tank tee.

If you have a parallel installation with a fossil boiler, you'll need to have it close to the boiler in any event.

Keep in mind that in most systems the pump is only circulating water by creating a pressure differential, not pumping water. Subject to nofo's comments, location is not critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.