location of stove top thermometer... will on the door work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
i have a insert, so my stove top is not a accurate means of gauging temperature.
can i place this magnetic thermometer on the top of my door?
i have a enviro venice 1700, and presently it is placed dead center on the top most portion of my door.
am i going to get false readings or low readings placing it here?
thanks

This is common for an insert. Sometimes the stove face is the best option. You will get a relative reading. It won't be as high typically as the stove top, but that's ok. The stove top is not the same as the inner firebox temps. It is also a relative reading and even that depends on where on the stovetop the thermometer is placed. So for the stove face, it might be 100 degrees off from the stove top, but it should be relatively consistent with the rise and fall of the firebox temperature.

What kind of readings are you getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.