Locust and Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt7546

Sep 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
My wood source came through for me this weekend with 2 truck and trailer loads of locust.
Then a friend called to see if I wanted a pile of large rounds that happened to be oak.

locust%201.jpg

locust%202.jpg

oak.jpg

oak%202.jpg

That there is a real good catch. Nice looking truck, too. Way to go.

In some quarters, you'd be told that "you suck" for such a great passive score.

Enjoy working it up and slowly burning it. Lotsa BTUs there.

Thanks guys. Your right CTY, I am a king at passive scoring.

Hi Sgt, good to see you active as usual. I cannot believe I have actually gotten to the point of giving up scounging for awhile, it is hard to say I have enough. I can remember when you were just getting started.

Hey G&W,
It's been one year this month that I started into the firewood addiction. I'm actually to the point now of clearing out some of my maple to make room for locust and oak. I still recall the day I stopped over and you gave me the "thing's to know" presentation, even taking the time to show me how to sharpen a saw. I'm still behind you a bit, but still mimic what you've shown me. PS: If I had the forest you do, I doubt I'd scrounge at all, but knowing me, I probably still wood.

Looks great - oak in the trailer? Looks like it's been dead for a while - very nice! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Looks great - oak in the trailer? Looks like it's been dead for a while - very nice! Cheers!

Yes the oak is in the trailer and truck. This log had been laying on my friends property since he bought the house. His wife decided it needed to leave and I got the phone call.
I used a 20" bar which only reached about 2/3's the way through. I made all the top cuts then used my truck and a strap to roll the log. I ended up with 15 large rounds. Some I was able to just dolly up into the trailer. For the rest, I made a small noodle cut then busted the rounds down with a wedge and sledge into manageable pieces.

Two of the best woods you could get there!

sgt, that is a sweet score for sure. There is much heat there and you will enjoy it.

No matter how big the unsplit pile of wood in my driveway and how much my wife would complain should I get more, I can't help but get jealous at the sight of those Locust unrounds and how much fun they are to split.

ChrisNJ said:
Locust unrounds

That's pretty funny. The Black Locust does grow in some weird shapes. Some times it looks to me like giant vegetable stalks.

Status
Not open for further replies.