Locust, barely alive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-PB-

Feb 28, 2010
MD via Philly
I have 2 locust trees in my wooded back yard. I've been watching them every spring thinking they will not come back, but they do. The trunks look nasty, all jacked up, lifeless, bark falling off, but the top 10% still sprouts out green every year. Are these locusts just barely hanging on, postponing the inevitable? I'de love the firewood but I try not to cut green wood, I love my wooded back yard. They are the only locust on my property and I dont want to fell them if there is a chance of new saplings shooting up in the future.
Any thoughts?

every thing Ive read says that a new tree will grow off of the stump. Id cut it.

Remmy122 said:
every thing Ive read says that a new tree will grow off of the stump. Id cut it.

I've seen them grow 10' in one year off a 6" stump.

I have a locust grove at the end of an old corn/wheat field. It's nice to have around for fence posts and firewood, but I have to cut that field at least once a year to keep the tree from propagating across the field. It's a great pioneer species.

Black locust or honey locust? Nearly all black locust trees now have the locust borer in them, which causes the die back toward the crown. Your trees are probably pretty weak in places from them. If they can do any damage from falling or losing a major branch, I'd cut them now. New trees will sprout all around the stump, but you can dig them out.

TreePointer said:
Remmy122 said:

I've seen them grow 10' in one year off a 6" stump.

I have a locust grove at the end of an old corn/wheat field. It's nice to have around for fence posts and firewood, but I have to cut that field at least once a year to keep the tree from propagating across the field. It's a great pioneer species.

This^^^ If the trees are struggling and barely surviving, cut them Locust will shoot up suckers right through the ground and you'll have a 15' locust tree in no time at all. Literally, I did the same think with an Oak that died at transplant when they built my house. The previous owners just let the suckers grow into a bush. I culled all but one sucker and in one growing season it went from a 3' tall oak "shrub" to a 9' Oak tree. Locust will do that even better. You will be busy cutting back suckers for a while, but if you select one of them and let it grow it will eventually quit shooting the suckers up. So cut it, let the suckers shoot up, then select the best one (best location or best looking one, whatever you choose/prefer) and keep the others trimmed back.

ETA, IMHO that is why Locust would be the absolute best firewood if a person wanted to plant/grow trees specifically for firewood. They grow fast, it's a great wood, and they come back with a vengeance after you cut them.

You mentioned that your back yard was "wooded"

if your black locust trees are in "the woods", then they are probably dying due to competition for light

black locust are pioneer species and will grow quickly in an open area - like an abandoned cow field - or fence row in a cow field. However, if other hardwoods grow up around them, they will eventually shade them out and the locust will die. This is normal forest succession.

Likely if your trees are truly in the woods, if you cut those trees they may or may not actually sprout back as has been suggested and the new stems will very likely not survive very long. Locust seedlings will generally not sprout up in the woods like an oak or hickory seedling will.

if you want to plant more locust, do so in an opening.

Great advice thanks to all. I'll cut them and get some great firewood, hopefully I'll get some suckers off the stump but yes they are in the woods so I wont hold my breath.
Thanks again

-PB- said:
Great advice thanks to all. I'll cut them and get some great firewood, hopefully I'll get some suckers off the stump but yes they are in the woods so I wont hold my breath.
Thanks again

Well I thought I had some standing dead Locust had woodpecker holes whole nine yrds not dry at all, good luck, got back to shed split some MC 30%

Status
Not open for further replies.