Locust - Do You Find It a Pain to Use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying BL isn't good. I am saying that after being rained and snowed on it is a PIA to get going nice, especially in the shoulder season when every reload is not a super hot one. The stove is cranking now. Just under 500°F 2.5 hours after reload.

Flatbedford said:
I am not saying BL isn't good. I am saying that after being rained and snowed on it is a PIA to get going nice, especially in the shoulder season when every reload is not a super hot one. The stove is cranking now. Just under 500°F 2.5 hours after reload.

I meant the thread. I'm sure you have it covered.

I burned some BL last year and I wasn't impressed. Tiny little splinters in my hands (need to wear gloves), and it just doesn't produce the heat I expected or atleast to live up to the hype here on Hearth. It's not like Oak. So far, nothing has impressed me as a stand out for heat - like oak does. Good - two year plus- seasoned Oak makes a huge difference.

This year, I've got a mix of cherry, ash, and mostly Oak.

Next year, I took in 2 cords of BL, in additon to cherry, Ash and Oak. I've got nearly 6 cords of oak for next year and more to come for the year after. There's oak down everywhere around me!

Only pain with B.L. is finding more...

Status
Not open for further replies.