Locust looks so nice stacked!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Locust is really unmistakable. What other wood has such characteristics that make it easily identifiable when stacked together. Or is, it most wood easily identified if stacked alone?

Attachments

• locust stacked.jpg
    locust stacked.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 668
Once you cut it split it and stack it you should be able to Id it at any given time in the future..

I think most wood, if stacked together with similar wood, is pretty easy to ID. You get a clue from this split, a clue from that one, and it all adds up to an ID. It is mixed woods, or single splits, especially barkless splits, that are really tough. Although there are tons of Black Locust around this area, I have hardly any in my stacks - even if the picture shows all of your locust, you are way ahead of me with locust. Nice stack!

I've got the rest of the locust in my yard to split up and stack. I do like how it splits.

Cherry is easy to pick out of the stack . . . same with apple.

Black locust is my favorite by far, cant get enough :-(

I haven't burned it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Black Locust may be THE wood as it has low moisture content and very dense and what I have split was easy.

Locust is like Oak with 1/2 the time to season. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.