Locust Ready to Burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chang

Nov 4, 2010
Maryland
Hey, quick question, I am new to wood burning and had a Quadra-Fire insert installed in October, I had cord of Oak delived from a supplier who said it was seasoned (yea right!!!) Now I have a cheap meter from Harbor Freight and Oak is 32% on a frsh split. My brother has been nice enoiugh to give me some great wood but I cant take any more. I decided to take my wood supply into my own hands and bought a new chainsaw, I was hunting for wood and found a standing dead locust the bark was almost gone which I downed and split and stacked, at least a half cord. I tested several fresh splits and as getting 16 to 18%, Can I burn this now even if it has only been split and stacked today? I know the meter is probably not the best, but much better than the oak I have. what do you think?

Sounds good, give it a try. It's dense wood so does not start as easily as some other woods but burns hot and coals well.

I try to burn Black Locust as often as I can cut it, great burning wood leaves a great bed of coals and burns hot. Very dense hardwood great qualitys for the stove sounds like its dry enough just try it out I suggest you mix it due to the fact its hard to get going. If you have some ash or with some of your brothers wood!! Good luck

re Edit: Ok, I'm totally baffling myself this morning!

Yes 16%to 18% sounds perfect - you'll know for sure when you put some in your stove. As with all dense wood it can be a little slow to get going unless you have lots of decent dry kindling. Once it is going well you should have no trouble adding more splits.

When I'm lighting I try to add thinner splits to begin with as they catch more easily.

Mike

Thanks for the input, I will give it a try today. I did find two more locust that were standing dead I will get them this weekend. Would fresh cut locust need 2-3 years like oak? I need to target some types of wood I can burn next season if I cut them now.

Locust is pretty dye even fresh. Sounds like its your best wood!

The reason to split, stack, and season a year or two is to get the wood dry enough. Your locust alreadey is dry enough, so burn away.

Most types of wood will be pretty good in a year even if the tree is alive right now. Oak, hickory, and sugar maple are exceptions that should have at least two years after splitting and stacking. I guess most any wood will be better in two years than one year, but one year in a nice windy spot and stacked so air can move through is a pretty good seasoning effort. It will all be far better seasoned than the oak you bought is this year.

chang said:
Thanks for the input, I will give it a try today. I did find two more locust that were standing dead I will get them this weekend. Would fresh cut locust need 2-3 years like oak? I need to target some types of wood I can burn next season if I cut them now.
Locust has less mointure on the stump so does not take as long as Oak to dry so even green Locust cut now might be ready to go next year if stacked in single rows in wind and sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.