Locust to the left of me red oak to the right!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Getting ready for -15 next few days,got my locust on the left side of the King Parlor,and red oak on the right. Locust at night ,red oak during day. Don't mind the clutter we live 1000 feet off the road in a forest,and live in our house. Love that B
locust l.jpg
locust l1.jpg
locust l1.jpg
K.

Attachments

• locust l2.jpg
    locust l2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 258
If anyone could be ready for -15, it is you!

Reactions: coutufr
Reactions: WiscWoody
That looks great! I'm currently burning red oak 24/7 with this cold snap. Have plenty of poplar for the not-so-cold days but it looks like it will be a few weeks before I burn any of that....

That's a fine setup! You are ready.

Nice Steelers Wheel reference, too. Hopefully you don't get stuck in the middle...
I'll leave that to the King,he can definitely handle it,not sure I could.Staying toasty here ,must admit,hard work pays off.

It's gonna be cold for sure here in northeast Ohio' I'm with u ohlongarm I have a garage filled with locust ready for the next cold spell. Looks like u are not going to have a problem staying warm. Setup looks great love the stone behind the stove!

I stack my wood on both side of the Ashford exactly like you do but closer to the stove. I do not have racks yet but my father who is a retired soulder will make me 2 next summer. He will make the front of the rack removable.

I stack my wood on both side of the Ashford exactly like you do but closer to the stove. I do not have racks yet but my father who is a retired soulder will make me 2 next summer. He will make the front of the rack removable.
Are you observing proper clearances?

The glass door including the door handle which is made out of wood is really what I put my focus on in term of clearance. On the sides I have about a foot between the wood and the sides of the stove. I find that the sides of the stove are not particularly hot, especially the bottom part. What do you think and does anyone have had bad experience with clearance with a cast iron sided stove?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
The glass door including the door handle which is made out of wood is really what I put my focus on in term of clearance. On the sides I have about a foot between the wood and the sides of the stove. I find that the sides of the stove are not particularly hot, especially the bottom part. What do you think and does anyone have had bad experience with clearance with a cast iron sided stove?
I was just kidding, although I think the manual probably does proscribe something. I'll leave it to the experts to comment further.

Reactions: coutufr
image.jpg
Woke up to -22 this morning, the cold streak is into its 10th day now, I’ve been burning nice dry red oak too but we don’t have locust up here... I have a rack inside that I can store a whole face cord in but it’s a bit low now.

Last edited:
View attachment 219915 Woke up to -22 this morning, the cold streak is into its 10th day now, I’ve been burning nice dry ted oak too but we don’t have locust up here... I have a rack inside that I can store a whole face cord in but it’s a bit low now.
Nice rack.

Wisconsin is beautiful in the summer...

Nice rack.

Wisconsin is beautiful in the summer...
Yours is much nicer looking, mine is just functional. I don’t think I could have it in here if I was married lol... I’m fixing the house up some to see if I can sell it so the walls will have to be painted and the rack will be gone I’m sure... some nice flooring would be good too... finally. I’ll have to bring wood in on as needed basis then.

Feb. is the best time to list if going that route. Been a sellers market for quite awhile now. Market hasn't been real flush with homes. A lot of them have been way over priced.