Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the thornless honey variety

Attachments

• IMAGE_036.jpg
    IMAGE_036.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 361
golfandwoodnut said:
I think Honey Locust appears to be very similiar to Black Locust. I just cut one of each up recently The bark is almost identical except Honey locust is a lighter shade. The one I cut was on a hillside, so I guess they do not have to grow in river bottoms. It was close to the Ohio river, but high on the hill side. The wood was just as heavy as Black Locust, so I doubt there is much difference in moisture content. I will check some shortly as I split some recently. The wood is a different shade, more brown and black locust was more white. I would think it would season very quickly since Black Locust is ranked 3rd on the fast list behind Ash and Beech but one on the BTU list.
golfandwoodnut, If
"the bark is almost identical"
then they are not Black and Honey Locust. The bark of these two trees is VERY different.

yeah, those are both black locust,

I don't think there are any different 'types' or varieties of black locust.

if the wood is different colored, its just due to the age of the tree, or that one is drier than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.