Locust ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
An electric utility line clearance company removed several trees in an area of new construction. I had a tough time scavenging the reasonable sized pieces of wood due to all the pickups in there before I could get off work. However, several large pieces remained a few days so when the heavy equipment moved in to haul it away, well let it be said I was in the right place at the right time offering them a location to dump a few loads. The pile pictured, per the tree crew, is "locust". Can anyone familiar with locust confirm? This was a living tree so logs are very heavy to handle. I cut them into reasonable 16 inch lengths and have learned many of them are difficult to split compared to other logs the same size. The wood is very stringy, similar to hedge only much larger diameter in size. The wood seems really dense so it likely has good BTU abilities. Will it emit sparks like the hedge does?; Stacked out in the open, will it be ready for next winter? Thanks

Attachments

• DSC04576 reduced.jpg
    DSC04576 reduced.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC04585 reduced.jpg
    DSC04585 reduced.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC04593 reduced.jpg
    DSC04593 reduced.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 412
Couple more pictures of wood to help identify the previous post.

Attachments

• DSC04591 reduced.jpg
    DSC04591 reduced.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC04592 reduced.jpg
    DSC04592 reduced.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 419
Most likely that's American Elm.Color of Honey Locust can look similar at times,but even when the grain is very irregular/spiral/or uneven it dont 'fuzz up' & come apart all twisted & shattered like Elm does when split green.Elm has more white sapwood than HL when you compare 2 logs the same size.HL bark is different than Elm also,its not 'diamond pattern' or cross hatched like Elm.

Its decent burning wood,though normally very hard to split because of its interlocked grain.OK for Fall/Spring burning,not as dense as the various Oaks,Hickory,Ashes,HL,Black Locust,Sugar Maple,Osage/Hedge etc.If split/stacked in the open now,some of the smaller pieces might be ready to burn next March or April.Most will take up to 18 months though.

Looks like most of it is soft maple, with some grey elm in there for good measure.

lol Splitter man needs two hatchets......ELM

Looks like the stuff in one of my IDs, elm. Maybe boxelder......not sure

Okay, great, we’ll call it elm. Hope it burns well cause I’ve split up 1.5 cords of it prior to the pictures. I’m sure there is at least another cord waiting there for processing. Thanks for the help. I’m splitting it a little smaller in hopes of it drying in time for the next season, only 8 months away. Thanks for the help.

NextEndeavor said:
Okay, great, we’ll call it elm. Hope it burns well cause I’ve split up 1.5 cords of it prior to the pictures. I’m sure there is at least another cord waiting there for processing. Thanks for the help. I’m splitting it a little smaller in hopes of it drying in time for the next season, only 8 months away. Thanks for the help.

Splits like that I know I would call it alot of things...Elm for the fourm only!

Definitely not Locust

Elm usually dries fairly fast after it is split. Splitting is the normal problem.... Then there can be an unusual odor about it too.

I have honey locust here and the wood has a honey color to it along with a pale green hue.. You'll also find locust to be quite heavy with a corky thick bark..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.