Locust!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Well all injuries and troubles came to an end this last week. I was driving by and saw my fav tree guy doin his thing. I saw a bunch of maple in the back of his truck and thought wellllll I'll stop and chat at least. Glad I did!!!!!!!!! They were taking down a fair sized Locust I couldn't see from the road. It was an emergency job and weren't prepared to haul it away today. Well thats where I come in. They cut it up, piled it and took the knots and large stuff, I came back later and cleaned up the rest.

This tree service has been great to me over the years. They don't sell firewood and have to haul from my area about 20miles to there dump site. So if he can dump closer it saves him fuel.

The bigger stuff is buried and there is some pine behind it for camp next year, but I think at least 3/4 cord??

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 345
Sweet, I love Locust and go out of my way for it. There is not hardly any other wood I will scounge as I have enough of everthing else on my property.

ckarotka said:
Well all injuries and troubles came to an end this last week. I was driving by and saw my fav tree guy doin his thing. I saw a bunch of maple in the back of his truck and thought wellllll I'll stop and chat at least. Glad I did!!!!!!!!! They were taking down a fair sized Locust I couldn't see from the road. It was an emergency job and weren't prepared to haul it away today. Well thats where I come in. They cut it up, piled it and took the knots and large stuff, I came back later and cleaned up the rest.

This tree service has been great to me over the years. They don't sell firewood and have to haul from my area about 20miles to there dump site. So if he can dump closer it saves him fuel.

The bigger stuff is buried and there is some pine behind it for camp next year, but I think at least 3/4 cord??

ckarotka, nice grab and coming off the injured reserve list it looks like your back in the game!

zap

GolfandWoodNut said:
Sweet, I love Locust and go out of my way for it. There is not hardly any other wood I will scounge as I have enough of everthing else on my property.

yep. one of my favorites. last year i burned 2 cords of locust that had been seasoned 2 years. i almost hated to see it go.

my top 3: hickory, locust, white oak.

Good to hear you are well again. Congrats on the Locust. Good stuff there! I have about 4 cords of Locust ready for this winter. Looking very forward to it.

Thanks all,

2013 should be a good year. Hope it's cold so I can get the most out of that Locust.

One of the good things about Locust is that if you split it now, you could probably burn it in February or March '12.

i like them large locust rounds to bank the stove down of a night time

Status
Not open for further replies.