Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UglyStrike

Mar 9, 2012
KY
My friend with a farm has a stand of locust that he spiked 2 years ago and they were mostly dead last year. There are 6 trees in the stand between 15-20" diameter. We have identified several nice oaks and a hickory that I will also be cutting for firewood. (Free wood is good wood!!)

The question I have is that I am just starting to burn. If I cut and split this locust over the next month will it be seasoned enough by fall to burn? The Oak and hictory would be on the following year's burn list.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
My friend with a farm has a stand of locust that he spiked 2 years ago and they were mostly dead last year. There are 6 trees in the stand between 15-20" diameter. We have identified several nice oaks and a hickory that I will also be cutting for firewood. (Free wood is good wood!!)

The question I have is that I am just starting to burn. If I cut and split this locust over the next month will it be seasoned enough by fall to burn? The Oak and hictory would be on the following year's burn list.

Yes

Absolutely,and some probably ready now,most of the stuff I cut was standing and debarked by nature ,I burned some last night real hot blue flame. Go for it take all you can handle,also will last for years covered or uncovered.

I'd recommend stacking them in single rows to get maximum airflow.

W/ a good drying location I see no reason locust wouldn't be ready by then.

pen

If they are dead they should dry by this Fall. Wet, I would split some of it a bit smaller and stack loose single-row just to be sure...

The BL should be good. Don't wait too long though. Maybe make some splits a little smaller than usual for easier starting.

Caution is well and good, but the truth is if it was standing green and you cut it up today it'd be ready to go by fall.
I don't have much experience with it. Didn't know how good it was until I came here. I've got about 1/3 cord that's going on its second Summer split, and another 1/3 stacked over the Winter. I've got a couple of cords of rounds, a lot of that was standing dead...and I'm going back for more.==c

Get every bit you can. In my opinion there is nothing better except maybe deep mine coal.

You might look through old threads here on BL. Certainly some of us have had trouble burning it at less than 2 years seasoning. Probably depends on how tight on air your stove is.

Status
Not open for further replies.