1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Log 4 ID...I'm Thinking Red Oak

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Bacffin, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Jay, that new stove will put a smile on your face this winter for sure.
    smokinj likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Me too, Dennis. I get a little White here and there but they are durable and don't die off or break off near as often as the Reds. I've got maybe about 1.5 cords White that was stacked in the Spring. A guy I know has one down and told me to go ahead, but he thought part of it might be on his neighbor's property. I need to check into that but I haven't been in a big hurry...most of the easy pickins were grabbed already. The rest of the trunk is big, lotsa wood, but a lot of crotch wood, too. It would be a chore sawing it and busting it down enough to get it on the trailer. I could take the power splitter over there, I guess...

Glad you're liking the stove, Jay. Sounds like it'll crank on that White. As I remember, you scored a helluva deal on it, too. Win-win! ::-)
    I thought you had some Hedge also?
  3. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    30 Miles Northwest of Boston
    After splitting, it looks red oak, smells like red oak.. I'm going with red oak on this one guys.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Attached Files:

4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    red oak.jpg

Give it 24 hrs see what happens. Here is a red for sure. Note on your white sap wood.(on your photos) Both are fresh cut but yours looks dryer and dull another one looks shinny and moist. The big tree had color when first split but turn lighter as it seasoned.

Attached Files:

5. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Really, white oak and pin in only one year? Well I have some white stacked seperate I cut back in May. I'll go out and check it with the moisure meter after the 6 month mark and see what is. That would great because I was thinking 2 years minimum. Good to know, thanks J.
  6. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Such suttle diferences. thanks.
  7. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA