Log 4 ID...I'm Thinking Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay, that new stove will put a smile on your face this winter for sure.

Reactions: smokinj
You'll be happy Jay! I could use some of that white oak here.
Got lucky 3 big white oaks this year and cleared a farmers fence lines of mulberry last winter. Still got two big mulberry's waiting on leaves. Oh and a epa stove lol Best move ever!
Me too, Dennis. I get a little White here and there but they are durable and don't die off or break off near as often as the Reds. I've got maybe about 1.5 cords White that was stacked in the Spring. A guy I know has one down and told me to go ahead, but he thought part of it might be on his neighbor's property. I need to check into that but I haven't been in a big hurry...most of the easy pickins were grabbed already. The rest of the trunk is big, lotsa wood, but a lot of crotch wood, too. It would be a chore sawing it and busting it down enough to get it on the trailer. I could take the power splitter over there, I guess...

Glad you're liking the stove, Jay. Sounds like it'll crank on that White. As I remember, you scored a helluva deal on it, too. Win-win! ::-)
I thought you had some Hedge also?

After splitting, it looks red oak, smells like red oak.. I'm going with red oak on this one guys.

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• DSCN2926rl4.jpg
    DSCN2926rl4.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN2927rl4.jpg
    DSCN2927rl4.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN2928rl4.jpg
    DSCN2928rl4.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN2929rl4.jpg
    DSCN2929rl4.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 146
red oak.jpg
After splitting, it looks red oak, smells like red oak.. I'm going with red oak on this one guys.

Thanks,
Bruce

Thanks,
Bruce

Give it 24 hrs see what happens. Here is a red for sure. Note on your white sap wood.(on your photos) Both are fresh cut but yours looks dryer and dull another one looks shinny and moist. The big tree had color when first split but turn lighter as it seasoned.

Attachments

• white oak.jpg
    white oak.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 155
Big differences red oak 3 yes. Pin white oak one year!

Really, white oak and pin in only one year? Well I have some white stacked seperate I cut back in May. I'll go out and check it with the moisure meter after the 6 month mark and see what is. That would great because I was thinking 2 years minimum. Good to know, thanks J.

View attachment 76300

Give it 24 hrs see what happens. Here is a red for sure. Note on your white sap wood.(on your photos) Both are fresh cut but yours looks dryer and dull another one looks shinny and moist. The big tree had color when first split but turn lighter as it seasoned.

Such suttle diferences. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.