log bench-finished!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Neighbor let me scrounge a chestnut Oak that fell in her yard. Want to make her a bench. A large section barber chaired leaving 2 nice semicircular slabs. Have no experiance working oak, would the sealed bark stay on, or do I need to drawknife or froe the bark off?
Would bullseye shellac thinned with alcohol paint thinner be a good economical sealant?
I seal my osage staves with that but they stay out of the weather. The finished bows get poly but that's pricey...
Also, any tips/ pics would be awesome.

Thanks,OB

I use Epifanes traditional spar varnish on all outdoor projects these days. Haven't found anything repairable that holds up nearly as well, and offers the same level of UV protection.

I'm useless on the bark question... never tried to leave it on! I'm usually working with lumber, no experience working in log form.

Reactions: osagebow
Finished quick bench up for neighbor's party this weekend. It will probably check a bit as it dries, and bottom will lose bark.
Used matching split sections from barber chair to make a 3 part, moveable unit with no fasteners. Coated with gobs of thinned shellac.

IMAG0322.jpg IMAG0324.jpg IMAG0323.jpg

Reactions: vinny11950
Status
Not open for further replies.