Log carrier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrprusak

Nov 16, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
I like to cut my firewood to length (20") in the woods and carry piece by piece to my truck. I want to be able to carry a piece with each hand and looking for a device that would clamp on the wood so I could carry one with each arm.. something like a brick carrier that clamps onto the cut log when it is lifted... I saw something made of chain once, but cannot find it...any help here...

I take a few SHARP drywall hatchets, sink one in each round. Easy to get a hang of where to sink 'em, and how to get the round to drop. Fun to throw also.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: burnt03
Bad thing is every time I'm out and really need it I forget it!

I have an old LL bean firewood carrier. Just a strip of canvas with leather handles on either end. Great for hauling bundles of small stuff out to the woods. Just lay it down and pile it up. I don't use it for the big stuff but since I usually cut down to 2 inches or a bit less I end up with lots of small stuff thats a PITA to haul out

big blue ikea bag (x 2) 1 in each hand. get real strong real fast.

Not the greatest picture but I really like the timber tongs I got...
IMG_0709-1.jpg
Nice to grab a handle with each hand rather than trying to grab the wood itself. Plus I can take the gloves off and let the hand air out and still carry wood. Only thing is you can only carry so big of a piece - they make a couple sizes.

OhioBurner, what brand and price are your tongs?

Gonna put roughnecks 20 1/4" tongs on my list to get. like how wide they open. $39

I try to get my trailer close enough to where I'm bucking that I can just heave the wood right in.

After a couple back injuries from heaving ridiculous-sized rounds, I have also started taking my splitting axe into the woods, and splitting most of the rounds right there before I lift them. Really tough stuff gets heaved into the trailer for some logsplitter action later.

OhioBurner, what brand and price are your tongs?

8" Oregon tongs from Baileys several years ago. Cork handle. Doesn't look like they sell them anymore, and no clue what the price was.

I kind of wished I went for the larger ones but the price jumped considerably (at the time at least) and I used a technique I developed (for my last stove) to cut a specific log length (40", also made my trailer to accommodate that particular length) and buck again at home. I'm not a big fella so the logs I could pick up with the 8" tongs were about near my max. Much bigger and I wouldn't be able to lift one handed, unless cut shorter. So it worked out. But I no longer use that method

I take a few SHARP drywall hatchets, sink one in each round. Easy to get a hang of where to sink 'em, and how to get the round to drop. Fun to throw also.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Same idea from me but I just use couple regular axes. Hold the handle near the head and it balances really nicely.

Reactions: osagebow
I have a pair of the Husqvarna 12" and love them. Really good when wood is covered with ice/snow.

The Fiskars which are new look very good and have an improvement in them.

Not the greatest picture but I really like the timber tongs I got...
View attachment 189236
Nice to grab a handle with each hand rather than trying to grab the wood itself. Plus I can take the gloves off and let the hand air out and still carry wood. Only thing is you can only carry so big of a piece - they make a couple sizes.

Does anybody else see something wrong with this picture? Those are some real big and long rounds to lift one with the left hand and one with the right.

Does anybody else see something wrong with this picture? Those are some real big and long rounds to lift one with the left hand and one with the right.
That is why I got em, more efficient carry means I get more done. Without the tongs I'd be carrying only 1 of those, and more awkwardly. Probably have to bend over forward to get, with the tongs and just squat straight down and the tongs slip over and then just stand up straight. Back then it was a race against the clock since I was by myself, cutting way back in the woods where I couldn't get truck too, had to work most of the weekend just to fill truck and trailer. I only had 4 to 6 trips maybe to cut all my wood for the year. Having a handle means I can carry bigger logs easier. I cut about 40" back then so that when I got home I could process them into 2x 20" pieces to fit e/w or 3x 13" pieces to fit n/s. Yeah sounds silly but the 13" n/s was better for the stove, just required more cutting and harder to stack. But carrying those bigger logs meant I could actually get a load done in the time I had, and spend the time bucking and splitting at home whenever it was convenient. With only 8" tongs though probably half the load had to be bucked there since it was too big for tongs and too heavy to carry anyhow.

Reactions: osagebow
Not at all, balanced load. 20 years ago, could have had those 2 with one under each arm! ;) ( the older we get, the better we were),

Yes indeed. Kidding around with a 17 year old football player in my Class the other day, I said " You better watch it, buddy. In my school I was the toughest.."
His girlfriend interjects "Kid in the marching band?".
Ouch.

Yes indeed. Kidding around with a 17 year old football player in my Class the other day, I said " You better watch it, buddy. In my school I was the toughest.."
His girlfriend interjects "Kid in the marching band?".
Ouch.
osagebow, don't let the missives of 17 yr old children bother you. I bet it is a challenge to get either one of the students in your story to take the garbage out to the end of the driveway without complaint, and the amount of effort that is required to feed your woodburner, forget about it. If you really want to show them what a real man is, bring those chainsaws and axes into show and tell.

On the other hand, perhaps that isn't the best idea...

Just invite the class into the woods for a team building excersize

At a staff meeting, my boss wanted suggestions for a team building exercise.

I was the only one who wound up voting for "Split And Stack Wood At My House". :(

I think 8 hours of all those people splitting and stacking would have generated a tremendous amount of teamwork, and we would also have been able to do some networking as the ambulance crews arrived.

Operator: "911, what's your emergency?"

Co-worker: "THERE ARE TREEEES HERE, AND I THINK I SAW A BUG..."

Long Island 911 operator: "OHMIGAWD. Try to be brave. Take shelter in a nail salon until the SWAT team arrives."

Co-worker, weeping: "I CAN'T SEE A NAIL SALON FROM HERE!!!!!"

Long Island 911 operator: "OHMIGAWD. You must be on the moon. I'm calling NASA."

Reactions: Hasufel and Dobish
Status
Not open for further replies.