Log chain conveyor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapeer20m

Oct 17, 2013
Michigan
I am gathering supplies and research for our upcoming firewood processor build.

For the live feed deck I think I want to use log chain because its cheap rugged and simple. I cannot find a good source for sprockets and am contemplating either fabricating my own or using the drive sprockets from a chain fall.

Does anyone have any expierence with log chain conveyors?

This video is the inspiration for log chain conveyor:

I'd suggest looking around on some old farms to see if you can find any old gutter cleaners. I'll look around here when I get the chance as I think there may still be a few around. If so, it could save you a lot of dollars and work great.

For the live feed deck I think I want to use log chain because its cheap rugged and simple. I cannot find a good source for sprockets and am contemplating either fabricating my own or using the drive sprockets from a chain fall.

I don't have experience with log chain conveyors specifically, but I am a conveyor designer/engineering tech. You could try Granger or McMaster Carr for off the shelf sprockets. You could also look at Gates Mectrol or Google chain and/or hoist sprockets. Your safest bet is to fabricate your own. If you go that route then you can make them exactly the size and Pitch diameter that you need. Keep in mind that you will only drive off of one tooth at a time so you want plenty of room between the link, but enough meat in the sprocket to handle the load. Good Luck.

Another thought I had was (depending on your setup) look for a hay bail conveyor/elevayor to take apart and use the parts off of that. There you could have your chain, sprockets, and drive/idler shafts all in one disassemble.

For slider bed rails, you could use either steel rails to slide on or get UHMW rails. Have your chain riding in a trough between the rails and use spikes or flights to pull the logs along the conveyor.

Just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.