Log Getter For My ATV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzberry

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2014
Next to Yosemite
Man I could use one of these. I would need it for a little bigger logs though.

Reactions: D8Chumley
That's a lot of weight behind an ATV, once you get it loaded up. Don't think I'd want to try any hills with it, at all. He was really tippy-toeing down that small smooth one at the 5:30 or so mark, with not much of a load on.

Got some really neat features though - never seen a drive system quite like that. And the winch on the boom looked pretty well thought out. Be a better match for a small tractor, I think.

A track drive is what I think is needed on that thing.

Nothing quite like suckling exhaust the entire time you are outside.

Pretty cool. I know there showing you what the thing can do, but that guy needed to find a dryer route to the wood. The hydro motors and the separate pump unit were nice. A PTO off the ATV for the pump would be nice. But I don't know of any ATV with that.

Plan B for me. If I was out scrounging up those 6-8 logs, I would buck them up and put them in the trailer I tow with the ATV.

So what's that thing cost? It's a great toy for the guy that needs everything.

I need logs for my Alaskan mill. I have a huge wraparound deck I need to replace on my house. Xman you think it would be easier to lift those logs off the ground to cut and drop in your trailer? Sport bike no reason to suck exhaust just turn the mofo off while you drive.

Without the motor running, the trailer drive wheels don't work. Then it will go a lot fewer places, and also be more dangerous. If you're on level ground, that might not be an issue.

Man thats cooler than I thought I never knew it had its own power to help it get around. So ya I guess you would have to sell the quad and get you a side by side so you can put it behind you. I already got a Ranger. Now all I need is a butt load of money.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I need logs for my Alaskan mill. I have a huge wraparound deck I need to replace on my house. Xman you think it would be easier to lift those logs off the ground to cut and drop in your trailer? Sport bike no reason to suck exhaust just turn the mofo off while you drive.

Oh I see, you need logs. I have well tested methods for moving any size rounds, But no plan for moving logs. Other here may have some tips.

I watch a lot of youtube, and this is one of my favorite videos. Very similar setup, just much better with a yanmar. Onboard hydro, bigger transmission, heavier frame, engine lasts forever. Cheaper than an ATV too, you can find those old tractors for dirt cheap.

New ATVs are not cheap, I just don't get why people beat the crap out of them when there are better tools for less.

I watch a lot of youtube, and this is one of my favorite videos. Very similar setup, just much better with a yanmar. Onboard hydro, bigger transmission, heavier frame, engine lasts forever. Cheaper than an ATV too, you can find those old tractors for dirt cheap.

New ATVs are not cheap, I just don't get why people beat the crap out of them when there are better tools for less.

As a tool maybe maybe not depending on the task. When is the last time you went fishing or hunting on your tool? Or even jumping in it to go to the mail box even? I find all sorts of things to do in my ranger and the things it does such as hauling is at least 25 times faster and a lot more fun. I plow snow at 20 25 mph. Show me a tractor that can hit a speed bump at 40 mph or spin a donut and I might listen to your argument closer. Little toy Yanmar tractors aint so cheap either.

Not discounting the value of a tractor . . . I've always said there is no replacement for the proper tool for the job.

However, an ATV properly set up can still be utilized effectively for a multitude of jobs -- albeit it will never be as versatile or as effective as a tractor (i.e. it will most likely not be able to haul as much wood, bush hogging is limited, etc.) As Jazzberry pointed out, the bonus with an ATV is the ability to work . . . and then when that work is done, use it for play by going trail riding.

Incidentally . . . I try not to abuse my ATV. It's a 2001 Honda Foreman and still going strong . . . having plowed countless hours of snow, hauled who knows how many cords of wood and ridden for many, many, many miles of trail. Incidentally, I think I paid a tick over $5,000 for it new . . . so they're not overly expensive compared to tractors.

Again . . . tractors definitely have their place though . . . when the snow is wicked deep and the banks have frozen in place the only thing moving my snowbanks will be a tractor as the ATV with the plow will do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.