log guy dropped off some - i see some pine - any idea what the rest is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
i asked my log guy to drop a small load off last week

i see some pine (which is fine as i asked him for pine before just for shoulder seasons) any idea what the rest is

not too bad for $50.00

wood-2.jpg

hard to tell for sure but looks like ash and some sugar maple too

Thanks I'll get some better pics tomorrow when the camera is charged

I think I see a big white oak, some smaller red maple with crotches, but can't really tell. This is the best type of 'name this wood' post, just one picture and wood is a little hard to see; there is always an excuse when your guess is wrong.

I'll give it a guess, Large tree on the right White Ash, surrounded by Red Oak and Chestnut Oak, Possibly some Maple on the left side of pic.

Thanks again guys - i'll ask him tomorrow when i drop off his cash

learnin to burn said:
I'll give it a guess, Large tree on the right White Ash, surrounded by Red Oak and Chestnut Oak, Possibly some Maple on the left side of pic.

Wow, you can tell Chestnut Oak from other white oaks from the logs? That is cool if you can. I am in the nursery industry and we raise a variety of oaks: northern red, white, chestnut, pin, willow, swamp white, black, scarlet, sawtooth, southern red, etc. I have a hard enough time telling the various species of Quercus apart from leaf/bark/habit. I would be lost to look at a white oak log and tell which species it is. Interesting.

brian

I did say it was a guess - My guess of chestnut was based on the pic below. I didn't know what it was when I cut/split it and the guys around here helped me out. I saw the dark splotches in the center and too a guess.

Attachments

• oak chestnut.jpg
    oak chestnut.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 421
i asked him and he just said a mix of hardwood and some pine he had on his truck but said not much ash

love this log guy - total paid was only $40.00

learnin to burn said:
I did say it was a guess - My guess of chestnut was based on the pic below. I didn't know what it was when I cut/split it and the guys around here helped me out. I saw the dark splotches in the center and too a guess.

Me don't thinx you have chestnut oak!

Stevebass4 said:
total paid was only $40.00

That is mint. How much is there? 3 or 4 cord? Not sure I can gas the truck let alone wear and tear and time for that.

not too sure until i get it cut up and stacked but i agree awesome price - good thing is his office is only about two miles from my home so i would guess he dropped on the way the back from a job

Stevebass4 said:
i asked him and he just said a mix of hardwood and some pine he had on his truck but said not much ash

love this log guy - total paid was only $40.00

If I could get loads of wood like that, delivered, for $40, I would pay for firewood.

That is the deal of the year Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.