Log ID/how much would you pay for this pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2023
Cady, WI
Marketplace find they claim oak. Looks like a good bit of wood. What would you guys pay for it? There are 5 logs 8 foot length 70 cubic feet by my math.
Screenshot_20240515_141059_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240515_141107_Facebook.jpg

$5.

• Love
Reactions: johneh
Doesn’t quite look like red oak and the bark doesn’t look like white oak either. Any close up pictures of leaves?

I’d offer 30 bucks and see what he counters with. Depends how anxious he is to get rid of it

Last edited:
Looks like they are lying in a bed of pin oak leaves. The end grain does not look like oak to me. But I suppose it could be camera angle, image compression, etc.

Log ID/how much would you pay for this pile?

Reactions: stoveliker
$25 for the driver; they deliver free wood here :)

Bark does not look like oak to me either. But I'm not known for my Wisconsin Oak knowledge ...

Yes I did see those but we don’t know if that’s where the tree was moved to or was. I don’t see a stump. I meant leaves on the branches that came off that tree. Definitely does not look like red oak grains to me. The bark doesn’t match white oak. But am only familiar with these oaks that are found in the northeast

Going to ask for some leaf photos, standby. In our area every large tree that someone wants money for tends to be "Oak" if you catch my drift.

Yes I did see those but we don’t know if that’s where the tree was moved to or was. I don’t see a stump. I meant leaves on the branches that came off that tree. Definitely does not look like red oak grains to me. The bark doesn’t match white oak. But am only familiar with these oaks that are found in the northeast
Pic number 1 has the top of the tree in it. Can’t see the stump, but they didn’t drag it far!

Dead leaves and bark look like black oak. I don't know what a cut black oak looks like, though. I have never cut one. I have only seen them standing.

No luck on leaf photos sorry fellas. Sounds like this guy wants someone to come over and get rid of the massive stump and do some dirt work in exchange for the logs I politely told him that while I'd be willing to throw a little cash at him that goes a bit beyond what five logs is worth to me. If he ends up changing his mind and I get the logs I'll make sure to post some better pictures here.

Yeah keep looking, if he comes back to you, which would not be a surprise, then it might even be just come get rid of them.

Think about what that much wood is worth cut & split? Is it maybe 1/2 cord?
If so it's not worth too much cash uncut, unsplit and not delivered.

there was a guy on FB marketplace that had a massive red maple just cut down, otherwise fully in tact he was giving away for “free”. Probably 3 cords+ in that tree. But wanted to find someone with a chipper to remove the brush and take the bulk of it in almost 1 shot so he refused to let me take some and split it so I can load it myself.. Some people just want something for nothing.

Then I had a guy with probably 5+ cords of hickory just giving away let me do whatever I want and even provided a wheel barrow. Everyone is different.

Reactions: bigealta
Are you buying them for saw logs or firewood? Plenty of free wood around by me so I wouldn't see paying or trading labor for them.

All very good points guys it's a lot of work just to get the wood out of there and I'm good on wood right now so I think at the most 20 bucks if he's reasonable but if you keeps trying to make something out of nothing I'll just move along.

Here the US Forest Service charges $35 per cord of hardwood, for pickup from the National Forest. Precut to ~2' lengths, but not split.
2ft lengths. That's unfortunate, Not a very usable size unless it's fireplace or outdoor use. Also tough to split longer lengths. Cut it in 1/2 and you have under 12". I'd rathe they cut it in 3ft lengths. Then at least you can get 18" lengths.

I assume that 2ft is somehow the easiest size for them to deal with. And also why they only charge $35. They must have way more than they can deal with and just want it moved out Asap.

2ft lengths. That's unfortunate, Not a very usable size unless it's fireplace or outdoor use. Also tough to split longer lengths. Cut it in 1/2 and you have under 12". I'd rathe they cut it in 3ft lengths. Then at least you can get 18" lengths.

I assume that 2ft is somehow the easiest size for them to deal with. And also why they only charge $35. They must have way more than they can deal with and just want it moved out Asap.
I think when I got there, almost a year after it was cut and stacked, the piles were already very picked over. There wasn't that much left, I ended up doing quite a bit of driving around to get my one cord. Maybe there was some uniformly cut and split firewood initially, because that's what the ranger who sold me the permit implied. I probably found the leftovers. This particular firewood was from cleaning out the Crystal Lake campground area in the Angeles National Forest in May of 2023. The wood was first advertised in in June or July of 2023, and I was actually surprised when I was told there was still some left. I had inquired about whether they had similar wood for sale elsewhere.

Interestingly, the cafe and adjacent vacations huts at Crystal Lake seem to use different wood, from much bigger softwood trees. I encountered what seemed to be a lumberjack school class, maybe 15 people chainsawing big trees into shorter lengths in the hut area. With an ambulance parked right nearby; I bet that makes you feel real confident about taking that class.... But probably a smart move; getting an ambulance up there must take an hour.

Well, now we are definitely off topic, but the OP said anyway he had already enough of this discussion... ;-)

Reactions: bigealta