Log-length load quote....fair deal or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the tree places here either grind it or sell it for firewood, no free lunch!

Hey lembalm, your in Ohio like I am. We have a lot of trees here and a lot of tree service companies. I talked around and found one where the guys gives all his wood away. Too expensive to process for firewood and doesn't want to deal with it later. As for the chipping. He owns the company. He told me when you own the company why run the large limbs through a chipper and dull the teeth when there are plenty of guys willing to take the wood from you. Two ways he gets rid of it. We take a trailer there and when his guys come back they will load the log lengths into the trailer or for $50 he will send a crane truck to your place and drop the load there. He gives the $50 to the driver as a tip for his time. This way he gets rid of it all. Talk around and I bet you can find someone like this, it makes sense. Like he told me. "I make a living cutting trees down, not trying to sell wood."

I don't mind "scrounging" if it involves at least a cord or two of wood, but just for a tree or two, by the time I get all my junk loaded up in the truck, get setup to cut, etc, it's just a hassle. Sure it's "free" wood but if I end up spending $15 in diesel for two trees that cord of wood is kinda expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.