Log lengths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

propguy

Sep 26, 2006
Where would I start to search. I want to start buying my own so I am not so reliant on someone else. In the past I have had Muddy wood, Green wood, Pine mixed in,Short cords, Unreliable delivery, etc etc etc......

Where do I get log lengths ?

BTW the guy that I have dealt with for the last few years has been GREAT but he tends to run out or run short then I can't get seasoned wood so I am going to take control [I think] he he he........
This year I bought a 2006 VC Defiant to replace a VC Vigilant. The Vigilant wood burn the less than fully seasoned because is was not that tight BUT the Defiant wants dryer more seasoned . Ugh I feel better :) pg

Main land side of Cape Cod .MA

Go into the Yellow Pages or some other business directory and look up "Logging Contractors." They will be happy to quote you a price. Depending on the location, the wood should run you somewhere between $50 and $100 per full cord, delivered. Most loggers and truckers require cash before they unload the wood, mainly because cash don't bounce.

If there are no logging contractors listed around your area, you could try tree service companies or possibly even consulting foresters or landclearing contractors. Personally, I'd use the tree service guys as a last resort, mainly because trees that grow in yards and other populated areas tend to be big, tough to split and often full of metal and other chain-wrecking artifacts.

There's plenty of good firewood growing in eastern Mass.

Good luck.

I'm willing to swap you some dry wood for you less than dry Probably not too far from you near the Patriots stadium

elkimmeg said:
I'm willing to swap you some dry wood for you less than dry Probably not too far from you near the Patriots stadium

WOW Thanks Elk,

I am hoping the guy will call Thurs.[ or I will call him] he said it was VERY well seasoned. I just don't have a way to transport large amounts[.pickup truck only] Do you have a good source I could get a couple of seasoned cords. I have already bought 4 this season and they have a REAL hard time burning, I highly doubt they will be ready in a month or 2. pg

Hi Propguy,

I live near the Patriots stadium too but I work all over eastern MA. If you want a load of tree lengths I could help you out.
Feel free to email me if you like. [email protected]

Thanks,

Craig

MALogger said:
Hi Propguy,

I live near the Patriots stadium too but I work all over eastern MA. If you want a load of tree lengths I could help you out.

Thanks,

Craig

Man...ain't Hearthnet great!!!

Warren said:
MALogger said:
Hi Propguy,

Thanks,

Craig

Man...ain't Hearthnet great!!!

WOW ........................JUST WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh- no ........I see a group huge coming on , I better get back over to the "GEAR" threads and talk about chainsaw or something. :lol:

It's nice that there is help available to you from the Hearth Room gang. But I don't understand the part about only having a pickup truck, and not being able to find logs on your own. We only have a small pickup (Ranger) and we have been finding and hauling free wood on and off all year long. Sometimes we have to chainsaw it, sometimes it is actually firewood length and just needs splitting. A lot of people who have trees cut down don't want the wood, trees fall in storms, trees die, etc. Today's haul of 3 truckloads we found via freecycle, we are going back tomorrow for more. They had recurring septic trouble, and the only solution was to cut some big trees down (mulberry and maple.) One load was all long stuff that barely fit in the truck, the rest hubby cut up. Anyway, we do fine with our little truck, so wondering how the situation is different where you are. More people with stoves fighting over the wood? I live in the country-turning-suburban near Milwaukee.

Marcia
Hearthstone Heritage

Some Like It Hot said:
It's nice that there is help available to you from the Hearth Room gang. But I don't understand the part about only having a pickup truck, and not being able to find logs on your own. We only have a small pickup (Ranger) and we have been finding and hauling free wood on and off all year long. Sometimes we have to chainsaw it, sometimes it is actually firewood length and just needs splitting. A lot of people who have trees cut down don't want the wood, trees fall in storms, trees die, etc. Today's haul of 3 truckloads we found via freecycle, we are going back tomorrow for more. They had recurring septic trouble, and the only solution was to cut some big trees down (mulberry and maple.) One load was all long stuff that barely fit in the truck, the rest hubby cut up. Anyway, we do fine with our little truck, so wondering how the situation is different where you are. More people with stoves fighting over the wood? I live in the country-turning-suburban near Milwaukee.

Marcia
Hearthstone Heritage

Well I guess I was saying cord wood. I am in the NE Cape Cod area. I have never looked on other peoples property for wood but am guessing that most of it is spoken for. I do have a pickup but have NO WAY to get it from the ground to the bed. Log lengths etc. pg

Roospike said:
Oh- no ........I see a group huge coming on , I better get back over to the "GEAR" threads and talk about chainsaw or something. :lol:

WEll, I guess we have to expect that one from a guy named Spike. :lol:

Warren said:
Roospike said:

uh oh And so it begins.............................. :)

Maybe you can PM Earthharvester. He is in that general area and works for a tree service. Think he mentioned in a previous thread that his family is in that line of work also.

downeast said:
Getting free firewood in urban/suburban areas takes some planning and networking. With a small PU, think about bucking the lengths for carrying rather than "log lengths". If the butt is too big, split it for easier carrying to your PU. Easier splitting when green anyhow. Loggers can deal in logs with their gear, you can't.
Sources: look around for the too many developments in SE Mass. Get to the sites when clearing is being done and ask for the hardwood. Offer to take all you can get. Often we'd get a dump load in the driveway, taking what we could get. Look in local town hall's for permits or planned developments. Talk up the local Realtors who sell land. Get friendly with the city and town road and line crews. Find woodlot owners and foresters if there are any in eastern MA :) .
All done the year before you need the wood for heat. Carry a notebook to scope out sites and foremen as you drive around.
We did this in a northern MA suburb for 15 years on weekends when not competing or teaching. Paying for firewood only when career obligations took over. It takes time to set up a network, and work the wood.
Trees are renewable, carbon free, sustainable. The post EPA wood stoves burn clean and effiicient. And, no need to workout if you decide to use wood for heating.
Even on this site, few here heat 100%, 24/7 with wood. Not from the furnace set at 55 F, up to room temperature.
Downeast

Wow Thanks for the ideas................ uh ... I have to ask.... uh.. is Bucking the same as Cutting...??? PG

"Cutting" is the all-encompassing term for using a chain saw to cut wood. "Bucking" refers to cutting the stem into lengths, usually either firewood rounds or logs. "Limbing" as the name suggests, involves cutting off the limbs. And "felling," of course, is the act of knocking the tree down, preferably close to where you want it to go.

Warren said:
Roospike said:

propguy said:
uh oh And so it begins.............................. :)
Na , Its all in fun ......... A jab here and a jab there ........ I think ELM'er owed me one anyway. %-P

RoosterBoy said:
Roospike i just wanted to say i like your wood stove it's very nice looking. how do you like it are you getting good burn times.

Oh no! Here we go!

BrotherBart said:
RoosterBoy said:
Roospike i just wanted to say i like your wood stove it's very nice looking. how do you like it are you getting good burn times.

Oh no! Here we go!
Ha , ;-P ..........Its all good , I'll just post a link that way you dont have to hear about the miracle stove again.
RoosterBoy said:
RoosterBoy Here is a link to the review. Sense the review through the whole winter it kept the house warm all winter 100% wood heat no problems. The thread. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/93/

BrotherBart said:
RoosterBoy said:

Oh no! Here we go!

BB don't you like hearing about how the PE Summit called the local wood guy, ordered a round of Hickory, split the round, loaded and self ignighted the split, and heated the house on that split for a whole winter? Oh, then cleaned the chimney after it was done heating?

I just love to hear about that stove......

I heard recently Con Ed was looking to replace Indian Point with a PE summit.. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.