1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. propguy

propguy New Member

Where would I start to search. I want to start buying my own so I am not so reliant on someone else. In the past I have had Muddy wood, Green wood, Pine mixed in,Short cords, Unreliable delivery, etc etc etc......

Where do I get log lengths ?

BTW the guy that I have dealt with for the last few years has been GREAT but he tends to run out or run short then I can't get seasoned wood so I am going to take control [I think] he he he........
    This year I bought a 2006 VC Defiant to replace a VC Vigilant. The Vigilant wood burn the less than fully seasoned because is was not that tight BUT the Defiant wants dryer more seasoned . Ugh I feel better :) pg

Main land side of Cape Cod .MA

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Go into the Yellow Pages or some other business directory and look up "Logging Contractors." They will be happy to quote you a price. Depending on the location, the wood should run you somewhere between $50 and $100 per full cord, delivered. Most loggers and truckers require cash before they unload the wood, mainly because cash don't bounce.

If there are no logging contractors listed around your area, you could try tree service companies or possibly even consulting foresters or landclearing contractors. Personally, I'd use the tree service guys as a last resort, mainly because trees that grow in yards and other populated areas tend to be big, tough to split and often full of metal and other chain-wrecking artifacts.

There's plenty of good firewood growing in eastern Mass.

Good luck.
  3. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

I'm willing to swap you some dry wood for you less than dry Probably not too far from you near the Patriots stadium
  4. propguy

propguy New Member

WOW Thanks Elk,

I am hoping the guy will call Thurs.[ or I will call him] he said it was VERY well seasoned. I just don't have a way to transport large amounts[.pickup truck only] Do you have a good source I could get a couple of seasoned cords. I have already bought 4 this season and they have a REAL hard time burning, I highly doubt they will be ready in a month or 2. pg
  5. MALogger

MALogger New Member

Loc:
    Foxboro, MA
    Hi Propguy,

I live near the Patriots stadium too but I work all over eastern MA. If you want a load of tree lengths I could help you out.
    Feel free to email me if you like. craig@csmforest.com

Thanks,

Craig
  6. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Man...ain't Hearthnet great!!!
  7. propguy

propguy New Member

WOW ........................JUST WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Oh- no ........I see a group huge coming on , I better get back over to the "GEAR" threads and talk about chainsaw or something. :lol:
  9. colsmith

colsmith New Member

Loc:
    near Milwaukee, WI
    It's nice that there is help available to you from the Hearth Room gang. But I don't understand the part about only having a pickup truck, and not being able to find logs on your own. We only have a small pickup (Ranger) and we have been finding and hauling free wood on and off all year long. Sometimes we have to chainsaw it, sometimes it is actually firewood length and just needs splitting. A lot of people who have trees cut down don't want the wood, trees fall in storms, trees die, etc. Today's haul of 3 truckloads we found via freecycle, we are going back tomorrow for more. They had recurring septic trouble, and the only solution was to cut some big trees down (mulberry and maple.) One load was all long stuff that barely fit in the truck, the rest hubby cut up. Anyway, we do fine with our little truck, so wondering how the situation is different where you are. More people with stoves fighting over the wood? I live in the country-turning-suburban near Milwaukee.

Marcia
    Hearthstone Heritage
  10. propguy

propguy New Member

Well I guess I was saying cord wood. I am in the NE Cape Cod area. I have never looked on other peoples property for wood but am guessing that most of it is spoken for. I do have a pickup but have NO WAY to get it from the ground to the bed. Log lengths etc. pg
  11. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    WEll, I guess we have to expect that one from a guy named Spike. :lol:
  12. propguy

propguy New Member

uh oh And so it begins.............................. :)
  13. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    Maybe you can PM Earthharvester. He is in that general area and works for a tree service. Think he mentioned in a previous thread that his family is in that line of work also.
  14. propguy

propguy New Member

Wow Thanks for the ideas................ uh ... I have to ask.... uh.. is Bucking the same as Cutting...??? PG
  15. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    "Cutting" is the all-encompassing term for using a chain saw to cut wood. "Bucking" refers to cutting the stem into lengths, usually either firewood rounds or logs. "Limbing" as the name suggests, involves cutting off the limbs. And "felling," of course, is the act of knocking the tree down, preferably close to where you want it to go.
  16. biggins08

biggins08 New Member

Loc:
    Springfield MA
    Anyone know someone in western mass that will deliver log lengths?
  17. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Where abouts in Wmass? There's quite a few
  18. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I'm not too far from the border and haven't had any luck yet. (just started looking)
  19. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Na , Its all in fun ......... A jab here and a jab there ........ I think ELM'er owed me one anyway. %-P
  20. RoosterBoy

RoosterBoy New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Roospike i just wanted to say i like your wood stove it's very nice looking. how do you like it are you getting good burn times.
  21. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Oh no! Here we go!
  22. biggins08

biggins08 New Member

Loc:
    Springfield MA
    Springfield, near the CT border....
  23. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Ha , ;-P ..........Its all good , I'll just post a link that way you dont have to hear about the miracle stove again.
    RoosterBoy Here is a link to the review. Sense the review through the whole winter it kept the house warm all winter 100% wood heat no problems. The thread. http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/93/
  24. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    Anyone want a 80 foot silver maple to burn it's still 80' vertical and not horizontal. about 3 foot at the base.
  25. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    BB don't you like hearing about how the PE Summit called the local wood guy, ordered a round of Hickory, split the round, loaded and self ignighted the split, and heated the house on that split for a whole winter? Oh, then cleaned the chimney after it was done heating?

I just love to hear about that stove......

I heard recently Con Ed was looking to replace Indian Point with a PE summit.. :lol:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.