Log lengths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren:

"BB don’t you like hearing about how the PE Summit called the local wood guy, ordered a round of Hickory, split the round, loaded and self ignighted the split, and heated the house on that split for a whole winter? Oh, then cleaned the chimney after it was done heating?

I just love to hear about that stove......

I heard recently Con Ed was looking to replace Indian Point with a PE summit.."

I heard that PE is outsourcing their stove production to Vogelzang to get access to improved technology. :coolgrin:

When you get log lengths delivered from a logging contractor or whoever how do they dump it? I'm asking because I would like to do this but live on a residential street with a narrow (width of cars) gravel driveway. Would this be possible for me?

Might try posting your wants here

http://firewoodcenter.com/discussionforum/default.asp

Nokoni said:
When you get log lengths delivered from a logging contractor or whoever how do they dump it? I'm asking because I would like to do this but live on a residential street with a narrow (width of cars) gravel driveway. Would this be possible for me?

Generally in the front yard, unless you have room in the back, will guarantee they won't get bogged down in your septic tank, drainfield, well, whatever, etc & can get turned around in or out another street.

Don't think that the driver of a tractor-pole trailer will try it, but I have not seen your situation.

Perhaps a straight truck driver with 20' logs might try.

Give the driver the best time the truck will not have to dodge parked cars/ traffic.

Generally at least twice the length of the truck is needed to be able to maneuver around in if they cannot drive out.

Will that entail having to go across your lawn if your neighbors won't allow the use of their drive?

Dave

You would probably want a tri-axle load roughly about 5-6 cords. What we used to do was weight until January for the delivery when everything was frozen..have him drive right on the lawn where you want it. They usually have a loader on the truck..If you do this make sure they put the first two logs on the ground about 8-9 feet apart then the remainder across. Keeps the ground moisture off of them, makes it easier to move the logs when cutting and keeps your saw out of the dirt.

Some neighbors might not like your chainsaw noise..A good tool to get if you do this is a canthook..

BrotherBart said:
Warren:

"BB don’t you like hearing about how the PE Summit called the local wood guy, ordered a round of Hickory, split the round, loaded and self ignighted the split, and heated the house on that split for a whole winter? Oh, then cleaned the chimney after it was done heating?

I just love to hear about that stove......

I heard recently Con Ed was looking to replace Indian Point with a PE summit.."

I heard that PE is outsourcing their stove production to Vogelzang to get access to improved technology. :coolgrin:

Bet Roospike is on the phone with a travel agent to get tickets to Dulles...and a 6 pack of whoop arse!!

Vintage:

"Bet Roospike is on the phone with a travel agent to get tickets to Dulles...and a 6 pack of whoop arse!!"

I am old, but I ain't that damned old! I'll pick him up at the airport. And after the fight. Besides, we would just beat each other up tossing empties at each other.

As the to Nokoni's log dump. She posted pics of the house a while back. A load of logs ain't gonna work around there.

Did somebody say "6-packs" ? :cheese: poor ole Roospike goes out to dinner and comes back and the dog pile has already begun. :red: Thats fine ..........I'm not going to share my one log with ya'll now. But i like the ideal of empty can wars , would never know the winner in the A.M. tho . I'm going to go polish my stove now.

BrotherBart said:
Vintage:

"Bet Roospike is on the phone with a travel agent to get tickets to Dulles...and a 6 pack of whoop arse!!"

I am old, but I ain't that damned old! I'll pick him up at the airport. And after the fight. Besides, we would just beat each other up tossing empties at each other.

As the to Nokoni's log dump. She posted pics of the house a while back. A load of logs ain't gonna work around there.

Is it tight? Did not know..thanks for speaking up.

Seems like we always have a few neighbors around who are not timbersports fans!

Vintage 181 said:
BrotherBart said:
Vintage:

Is it tight? Did not know..thanks for speaking up.

Seems like we always have a few neighbors around who are not timbersports fans!

Yeah. I can't find her post with the pictures but as I recall it is a tight spot. And no place to dump the load. It is a knocked out looking little house but I didn't see anywhere in the pic that a load of logs could be dropped.

Not something I would have attempted with a five axle rig back in the day.

I thought PE's polished themselves?

Did you have a good time out at dinner?

elkimmeg said:
I thought PE's polished themselves?

Did you have a good time out at dinner?
They do but need a good rub once in a wile by hand. Good time at dinner . Wife talked me into prim rib . ( didnt take much talking tho )

Are you crazy Craig might be monitoring this thread? Prime rib?

Back to the gear I did test out a Makita a few years back nice saw but not in my budget at the time. Currently building a 12/16 shed to put all the tools in from the garage and yes a permit was pulled For those wise arnses

elkimmeg said:
Currently building a 12/16 shed to put all the tools in from the garage and yes a permit was pulled For those wise arnses
Awe ............ You just take all the fun out of it Elker.

Status
Not open for further replies.