log load coming today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
I'm anticipating him being here in about an hour to deliver... He says its 20 cords (face, everyone sells by that here) for $900. We decided to get it because i just cant seem to cut enough each year early enough for it to be dry.

Is there an easy way to calculate the volume of firewood when they are still log length? I just want to make sure im not getting screwed because the guy was a little questionable on the phone. he said its 20 cords when you cut it for stove length, a little less for furnaces and owb... doesnt make any sense and tells me he may not be the most knowledgable person. but he does this full time, so we will see in a bout an hour!

oh and of course ill have some pics up too.

I believe what he meant was that if it's cut 16" it will net 20 FC.
If it's cut longer it will net less FC .
Still the same total volume (in cubic feet) of wood just less FC because it's cut longer.

If it's a fully loaded triaxel with 22'+ wood it should get you 7 cord.

For what is is worth, the log load I bought earlier this year, came in 12 ft lengths, and were on a single axle dual wheel truck. I believe the bed was 8 feet wide and the racks were 6 feet high. It was packed full and the seller advertised it as yielding 9+ face cords. I'm thinking he's true to his word on that, I'm not quite a third of the way through splitting and stacking the load and have over 3 face cords at 16 inch. I'll be posting some pics of today's progress in the woodshed forum

CowboyAndy said:
I'm anticipating him being here in about an hour to deliver... He says its 20 cords (face, everyone sells by that here) for $900.

That sounds like a decent deal. If you get 7 cords from those logs, you'll have paid $128/cord. I found a tree service guy who's about 10 miles from me who will deliver 2 full cords of 16" rounds (unsplit) for $250. I haven't scheduled a delivery yet, but thinking of doing it soon -- splitting those rounds would be like my spring gym membership.

Sweet, crankin through a pile of logs like that is fun.

Andy, for the future, use the <a> icon and paste in the address. It should work.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. That is nice work though.

CowboyAndy said:
I'm anticipating him being here in about an hour to deliver... He says its 20 cords (face, everyone sells by that here) for $900. We decided to get it because i just cant seem to cut enough each year early enough for it to be dry.

Is there an easy way to calculate the volume of firewood when they are still log length? I just want to make sure im not getting screwed because the guy was a little questionable on the phone. he said its 20 cords when you cut it for stove length, a little less for furnaces and owb... doesnt make any sense and tells me he may not be the most knowledgable person. but he does this full time, so we will see in a bout an hour!

oh and of course ill have some pics up too.

Git-R-Done CowboyAndy, just finished splitting what was left of the load I had delivered. Pictures going up Monday night.

Zap

Looks like a nice load ya got there Andy...so sweet working log loads.

CowboyAndy said:
so what do you guys think, judging by the pics does it look like 6 1/2 cords? again, the guy said it was 20 face.

Pictures are always hard to judge. What is the L/W/H of the pile?

CowboyAndy said:
so what do you guys think, judging by the pics does it look like 6 1/2 cords? again, the guy said it was 20 face.

I don't wanna be a butt head - but I don't think that pile is gonna yield 6.5 cords. Just taking a SWAG, I would say 4. Hopefully for your sake - I am wrong.

CowboyAndy said:

My guy that delivered our logs said it was between 10-12 face cord, I think the wood I have is closer to 10 face cord.

Yours seems to be less than 20 f/c but thats just a guess.

Zap

My log guy is supposed to deliver a full load sometime this month. He said most logs would be 20'-24'. He anticipates 17 to 20 face cords or about 6 full cords or 700 to 800 cubic feet. He has a local reputation for honesty. Best Wishes, John_M

I figure a triaxle log truck with bunks 9'Hx7.5'Wx20'L at 7-8 cord if I have 22-24'L wood hanging out the back. That dump I gaurantee is only 18'L x 7'H or less. You got shorted by a long shot.
I've loaded dump trucks with a log truck before and you just can't pack on the wood because you just can't see what you're doing.

advantageousLEE said:
I figure a triaxle log truck with bunks 9'Hx7.5'Wx20'L at 7-8 cord if I have 22-24'L wood hanging out the back. That dump I gaurantee is only 18'L x 7'H or less. You got shorted by a long shot.
I've loaded dump trucks with a log truck before and you just can't pack on the wood because you just can't see what you're doing.

And so your professional estimation is ApproximatLEE what?
(I am not trying to nail ya down - just wondering how close I came)

Jags said:
advantageousLEE said:

1.46 x Pi. ;-)

advantageousLEE said:
Jags said:
advantageousLEE said:

1.46 x Pi. ;-)

So 4.5897214 cord it is. Couldn't you be a little more specific?? :lol:

well, got some work done on the pile over the last few days...

Attachments

• 0318101835.jpg
    0318101835.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 0318101836.jpg
    0318101836.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 376
CowboyAndy said:
well, got some work done on the pile over the last few days...

Looks good, what length are you cutting them?

Zap

Well, got some of it split today, some more to be split still tomorrow...

what do you all think of this idea... i have found it tough to cut the logs when they are so close together... so i thought of pulling the top ones maybe 2 or 3 at a time off tie pile with my truck into an open space. think its worth the effort?

Attachments

• 0326101735a.jpg
    0326101735a.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 266
wouldnt see why it wouldnt work! everone will tell you the peavy the best way but if you dont have one what the heck.

Status
Not open for further replies.