Log load delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Finally got my delivery on the 6th of May. 20 cords.
Jim showed up in the driveway, setting up the sleepers, then the first load being dropped! WOOHOO. Wait a minute,........... now I have to start cutting and splitting all this.
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3136resize.jpeg
    IMG_3136resize.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,097
  • IMG_3150resize.jpeg
    IMG_3150resize.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,083
  • IMG_3157resize.jpeg
    IMG_3157resize.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,095
How much does a load like that run?

I guess this is the other side of the spectrum from my VW Golf diesel and small trailer. :)

Last load off the pup. Oh yeah, ignore the orange fence.
Working on the front half, and last load from the front.
All done, waiting for me to do something.

Attachments

• IMG_3218resize.jpeg
    IMG_3218resize.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,040
  • IMG_3225resize.jpeg
    IMG_3225resize.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_3232resize.jpeg
    IMG_3232resize.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_3237resize.jpeg
    IMG_3237resize.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,044
smokinj said:
How much does a load like that run?

This guy is reasonable. This load was $1500 for 20 cord. All oak. :coolsmile: I'm a happy camper. It won't last when I start cutting into it. But I'll be happy again when it's being burned, and nice and dry! My brother insists on doing things the neanderthal way. Cut and split in the fall, then burn that winter. :bug: His wife and son complain how hard it is to get a fire going, but he's hardheaded. Guess I'm the boyscout, 'cause I would rather be prepared. I had to deal with that the first winter I burned. NEVER AGAIN, if I can help it. I think I'm on my way to fulfilling that goal.
Last load in Sept. of 2007 was 1300. I got 10 from that one, and my brother took the other half. That one had some maple and ash mixed in.

that is the biggest grapple I have seen, Time for work!

Wow, impressive. Wish I had me a load like that!

Sweet! and I thought I had some work waiting on me... I'll think of you now anytime I look at my piddly pile and think I have far to go.

I think that would last me 4 or 5 years (burning time - I have no idea how long to cut and split). I too am curious how many years that is expected to last you.

Geeze PapaDave. Maybe I'd better come on up there and give you a hand. Why, I can stand around all day just clapping! lol

Just give a holler if you need some help.

Awesome pile of sticks! That is sure to be hours of fun!

Todd said:
Nice. How long you figure that will last you?

We use about 4.5 cords/yr., so I'm hoping for a little over 4 years. This winters wood has been done since last fall, so we have over 5 yrs. worth on hand not including my scrounging and leftovers from last winter. That's just stuff off the property, like pine, poplar, and maple.
Got a couple decent sized pension checks this spring, and this delivery was part of the plan.
I can now go at least a couple years w/o needing to buy. Maybe i'll have time to do more scrounging too.

Dave

smokinj said:
that is the biggest grapple I have seen, Time for work!
Was awesome watching this guy work! Picked a load off the truck, laid it down, then picked up and dropped individual logs as sleepers.
My granddaughters got a little too close, and he picked up on it right away. BEHIND him. Very nicely asked to have them move back.
Before delivery, he reminded me that this would be a "green money" deal. HAHA. Took me a sec to figure that one out. Not sure if it's all green anymore, but I got the point.

Dave

Backwoods Savage said:
Geeze PapaDave. Maybe I'd better come on up there and give you a hand. Why, I can stand around all day just clapping! lol

Hey Dennis,
HOLLA!
J/K, but I will not get all this done this year. Hope to have at least 1/2 done though. Still modifying the stacking rotation plan. Slow and steady. Have about a cord done so far, so only, um...............19 more to go. Notice how I did that math right quick there?

I do appreciate the offer, but I like the solitude while cutting and splitting. Granddaughters have helped SOME with the splitting and stacking. They REALLY love the tractor rides more than the work though. :
Dave

WANDERING NAMELESSLEE said:
MAN I love the looks of those B-Trains!

I like the set up. Nice truck. But it's not what we refer as a B-train up here(here we go, regional stuff). It's what I call a pup trailer. A big azzed pup, being pulled by a really big azzed self loader. A B-train(up here close to canada) is a 3 axle tractor pulling a 3 axle trailer hooked into another 2 axle trailer. But really....why be so picky :)

But I took delivery of 12 cord of wood on, what we refer to as a self loader. Which is(up here) a straight truck, 24ft body, with a total of 4 axles.

[quote author="flyingcow" date="1243578233]
But I took delivery of 12 cord of wood on, what we refer to as a self loader. Which is(up here) a straight truck, 24ft body, with a total of 4 axles.[/quote]

tri axle pulp truck

Funny to see the way the wood is loaded on that truck. Out here they would laugh at that. The logs should run the whole length of the load not crossways the locals would say.
We pay 1400 to 1800 but for softwood (fir, larch, pine). $1500 for oak, now that is sweet.

Debating about getting a load this year. The run up and down the logging road is getting tiresome, and tiresome on my truck.

d.n.f. said:
The logs should run the whole length of the load not crossways the locals would say...
Crossway loading is less safe for other drivers as the load can easily leave the trailer striking other vehicles. Crossway loading is safer for the truck driver as the load will easily leave the trailer resulting in less payload pushing, should the truck get in an accident.

The way it works up here, and i assume in other parts of the logging community, is it's loaded as to what the mill wants.

----Cross ways is fine long as it is loaded and bound down properly. I've seen very little problems this way. The old days there was hardly any straps put on a load. Now there is Fed and state guidelines on strapping/chaining/binding a load. Pretty decent fines if not done right. Use to have a lot of 4ft pulp loads. Do have to pay a little more attention if the logs have some snow/ice build up on them.

----Long length/tree length is ok. Either way the truck has to have a headboard. Not a typical aluminum one like you see behind fladbed trucks. Should be approved for heavy duty. There are aluminum ones used, but if it were me, put on a good heavy steel one. Double gripe it to the frame. Seen these work very well.

PapaDave said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Hey Dennis,
HOLLA!
J/K, but I will not get all this done this year. Hope to have at least 1/2 done though. Still modifying the stacking rotation plan. Slow and steady. Have about a cord done so far, so only, um...............19 more to go. Notice how I did that math right quick there?

I do appreciate the offer, but I like the solitude while cutting and splitting. Granddaughters have helped SOME with the splitting and stacking. They REALLY love the tractor rides more than the work though. :
Dave

Dave, I know exactly what you are talking about as I also love the solitude. Sadly, my granddaughters live a long ways from us so we do not see them very often.

Have fun!

d.n.f. said:
Funny to see the way the wood is loaded on that truck. Out here they would laugh at that. The logs should run the whole length of the load not crossways the locals would say.
We pay 1400 to 1800 but for softwood (fir, larch, pine). $1500 for oak, now that is sweet.

Debating about getting a load this year. The run up and down the logging road is getting tiresome, and tiresome on my truck.

I well remember the first time I saw logs loaded that way and I also thought it strange. However, that still is the best way to load. These logs usually go for pulp and not saw logs so they are all cut to 8' and it really does work nicely to stack them on the trucks that way. And I've never seen an accident doing it this way.

It is also great watching a good trucker load and unload the logs. It is done amazingly fast and he makes it look like child's play.

Well if you want a load out here you need 70' of space plus fudge factor cause that is how long the logs are.

Most of the loads I see around here (and there are A LOT) are done this way. He had chains front to back at least, but I didn't pay attention to any other means of securing the load.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.