Log Load On The Way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be the first person in America to order a log load without owning a chainsaw. Keep us updated.

That's too funny! I kinda doubt it. I am learning about all this and not afraid to dive in. I did have plans to have a friend here to help but he got injured (not using a chain saw). I will get someone here to learn me.

I did stop at Lowe's and held a 42cc 18" Poulin Pro and a 50cc 20" Poulin Pro. I must say the weight difference was much greater than i thought it would be! Then I asked myself which saw would be better the lighter saw or the heavier one???

where abouts in cny? Oswego county here. and 20 inch bar is fine remember that will get you through a 40 inch diameter and I guarantee nothing on that truck is that big.

There didn't seem to be anything too large on the truck so there should be ample opportunity for me to start small and work my way up. The biggest thing I'm trying to get my head around right now is how am I going to move these logs? They are much heavier than I anticipated...and then there is the issue of moving a frigging log not knowing it's got shitloads of pressure on it and is holding up a pile!

That's too funny! I kinda doubt it. I am learning about all this and not afraid to dive in. I did have plans to have a friend here to help but he got injured (not using a chain saw). I will get someone here to learn me.

I did stop at Lowe's and held a 42cc 18" Poulin Pro and a 50cc 20" Poulin Pro. I must say the weight difference was much greater than i thought it would be! Then I asked myself which saw would be better the lighter saw or the heavier one???
the heavier one.

There didn't seem to be anything too large on the truck so there should be ample opportunity for me to start small and work my way up. The biggest thing I'm trying to get my head around right now is how am I going to move these logs? They are much heavier than I anticipated...and then there is the issue of moving a frigging log not knowing it's got shitloads of pressure on it and is holding up a pile!

Attachments

• pevey.jpg
    pevey.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 218
You may be the first person in America to order a log load without owning a chainsaw. Keep us updated.

Ha! He's at least the second - I've done it. I was debating between 70cc pro saws at the time though, not so much between the WildThing and the Blue Max.

First post, usually just lurk but that was too funny not to comment. Hello Hearth.com members.

Reactions: Longstreet
To each his own, but I'd not be tackling that load with a 45 cc saw, nor very interested in trying to spin a 20" loop of chain with one! That displacement is fine for a 14" or 16" bar in ash, no more.

I'd return that saw, and start shopping for a used MS-361 or 036 to run a 20" bar, if you didn't want to drop the coin for a new 60 cc saw. I'd consider a 50cc saw the bare minimum for tackling a log load, and then it'd be wearing an 18" bar, not 20".

To each his own, but I'd not be tackling that load with a 45 cc saw, nor very interested in trying to spin a 20" loop of chain with one! That displacement is fine for a 14" or 16" bar in ash, no more.

I'd return that saw, and start shopping for a used MS-361 or 036 to run a 20" bar, if you didn't want to drop the coin for a new 60 cc saw. I'd consider a 50cc saw the bare minimum for tackling a log load, and then it'd be wearing an 18" bar, not 20".

well I look at it this way...I'm likely to not buy the saw I want right now and don't have enough knowledge/skill/experience to really know. So I got the kit that offered some experience and all I have to lose is $149. I can probably sell it on Craigslist for $100 if it works. Once I get some knowledge built up I'll be in a better position to listen to what you are trying to tell me ;)

Why do you suggest waiting until fall?
Between the insect biting the shat out of you, bees nests, ticks, and sweating your nuts off, you will wish you had waited till cooler weather.
You may not mind all that, I didn't at first, but now I wait till its cooler out. More enjoyable for me, and a little more workout time in the lesser active time of year.

Between the insect biting the shat out of you, bees nests, ticks, and sweating your nuts off, you will wish you had waited till cooler weather.
You may not mind all that, I didn't at first, but now I wait till its cooler out. More enjoyable for me, and a little more workout time in the lesser active time of year.

That does make sense in general. I'm eager to get this wood stacked though I can always get another load in the fall I need to at least know how much time I'm going to need to process a load. It's taking up my yard right now!

yeah I said go with the bigger one because I have cut a lot of loads of wood in my day. and I know not everyone out there has the desire to spend what some of us do on saws. my first load or 2 I cut with an ms260. you can cut that whole load with that saw you just bought. but you might be there a while doing it.
bar size doesn't always equate to saw size either. ive seen some long bars on some pretty doggy saws. my 066 is a big saw (well at least I think its big) and its sported a 20 inch bar most of its life.
my father brought over his craftsman saw once to help me cut a load when he realized I was cutting 3 to 5 chunks in the time it took him to cut 1 he put his saw down and used my 046. but at the same time I wouldn't hand either of them saws to someone who hasn't run chainsaws before. someone mentioned an 036 earlier and that's a good sized saw but I definetly would not go any bigger for a first saw.
I guess the best advice I can give you would be to get a pevey and lay out 2 smaller logs so you can roll them off the pile onto them but not onto the ground. if you cannot get 2 of the smaller logs down use a cpl 4x4s. or use a log cant. but keep the saw out of the dirt. most newbies biggest problems come from dulling saw out and not knowing how to sharpen.

heres a few vids I looked up real quick showing safe chainsaw cutting.

heres a vid of a method some of us use by cutting up to finish the cut cause the cuts will line up easier however be sure to let the chain stop before pushing bar into the already cut slot because if the tip of the bar catches at speed before its in there that is when kickback will occur. as well as cutting through a log when the tip contacts the log behind it space them out. cut 1 log at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
remember as well if you don't have a lot to spend on the safety equip you can do without the hard hat since your not felling and safety glasses and foam earplugs will get the job done better than nothing.

No cant hook? That's going to be your best tool for moving those logs. Of all those I've tried, the 60-inch unit from LogRite is my favorite.

It seems like this is a bit late, but I sprung for the ms261. It felt like a lots at the time, but it's been great! Small enough to handle for long time periods, big enough to handle any log I've come across, and in a head to head battle with a friend holding a 'lesser' Stihl model, I was cutting a solid 50% faster.

That Odell may not be for you, but I would seriously find the $ to buy the best you can. More money can always be earned. Time can never be recovered. Efficiency=priceless!

Also...get a good sharpening tool and learn how to use it well. It's not hard! It's the difference between cutting wood with a hammer and a hit knife in butter!

Status
Not open for further replies.