Log Load On The Way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the looks of that thing! Might just have to get one to help out. I probably will get another chain and use something like that to keep things "right" and then I can still use the hand sharpener at gas fills for touch ups. I really like working with a good chain letting it dull is a battle some people seem to like...not me LOL.

I got a snow day today! My school closed due to a power outage. I have done some work on the wood for certain. My log load is still here though LMAO!!!!

Any photos of the progress?

I like the looks of that thing! Might just have to get one to help out. I probably will get another chain and use something like that to keep things "right" and then I can still use the hand sharpener at gas fills for touch ups.
Going from that style sharpener to a round file and back will not usually yield great results. The profile left by grinding with a wheel is different than the profile you get with a round file, so you're sort of stuck going with one or the other, not switch hitting.

20150924_180807[1].jpg 20150924_180849[1].jpg 20150924_180843[1].jpg

I don't know how much wood this all is really. The first pic is stacked right outside my back door. It's not a very good angle and it's quite a stack. The second is a stack in the back. The third is what's left of the logs.

Going from that style sharpener to a round file and back will not usually yield great results. The profile left by grinding with a wheel is different than the profile you get with a round file, so you're sort of stuck going with one or the other, not switch hitting.

Thank you for saying that it makes total sense and I never would have guessed it LOL.

I am getting the feeling the splitting goes quicker than the sawing really...which is kinda surprising.

Since you're just getting started using your chainsaw and working through a load of logs, it might seem like that. As long as there is room I can cut up a whole load of logs in day's time. The rate limiting factor (even with a splitter) is splitting.

Since you're just getting started using your chainsaw and working through a load of logs, it might seem like that. As long as there is room I can cut up a whole load of logs in day's time. The rate limiting factor (even with a splitter) is splitting.

Yeah Key I get that. I was cutting a lot faster till I ran out of room LOL...but I have been clearing more room now!

Reactions: BigCountryNY
just an update that I only have a couple more piles to stack ... everything is split so I am pretty much done with this load. I have a couple cords left from last year and this years wood is good so I am looking at burning decent wood all winter which is a good feeling.

Now, I am wondering what kind of gloves to buy because I am tiring of the disposable ones from Lowe's ripping right away....

I just buy the inexpenive leather gloves, and plan on going thru them pretty quick. I've bought much more expensive gloves that don't last that much longer, so it seems the economics favor the cheaper leather gloves.

For running the saw, I prefer Stihl chainsaw gloves or mechanics gloves, but they too wear out quick when handling wood all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.