Log Load Quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
I talked to a log guy said he would deliver a load for $650 which seems to be the going price around here. He said it would be about 20 face cord though which confuses me. If there something about log length wood that is a face cord?

At that price I would ask for 2 log loads for $1100..:) Is it fresh cut green or has it been down for a few months? What kind of hardwood?

I don't know the answers to those questions....I wish I could drive the price down like that but I am kinda tight right now...I do want to work ahead though and if I get a load and start to scrounge around I should be in a good place next year...

I don't know the answers to those questions....I wish I could drive the price down like that but I am kinda tight right now...I do want to work ahead though and if I get a load and start to scrounge around I should be in a good place next year...
If that load is fresh cut, it won't be ready until the fall of 2016/17'.Maybe silver maple if split small and put out in the wind....Pray for all Ash...Lol :)

well it's my get ahead wood anyway. I am not sure how much I have here right now probably a cord and a half....and I will get more. I drive by seasoned face cords for $50 all the time but I have to pull over and load it. I probably will start doing that when the summer starts and burn that and what I have this winter....and I will cut and stack this log load then I will be a year ahead....which is a good start for now.

I just stacked what was left of a cord I had this morning...it's my first stack like this. Any ideas how much wood that is?

And how high can I go on this stack? It feels like if I drive into it might go over!

Attachments

• 20150523_124706_resized.jpg
    20150523_124706_resized.jpg
    845.5 KB · Views: 206
Buy the log load, and stop and buy the facecords, they are the most honest way to buy wood. They are premeasured. Its just you have to load and off load it, only a labor drawback. But if you have kids bully them into doing it. $50.00 is a great deal.
Once you get a good supply going then you can pick and choose.
I use cement blocks and poles too but I wire tie the tops so the uprights dont spread out like that. If you go up 4 1/2 feet you will be able to measure cordage better. You can measure in 4' x 8' increments.
Looks like about 2 facecords.

yeah that's what I figured too....but I am more concerned with storage space! I was hoping to go 6' high on each pile but there already is a lot of weight on their as evidenced by the ties bending. I either put more blocks under there or keep it at 4' probably....I figured at 6' high each rack will hold 1.5 cords though which is kind of nice!

Place a tie end to end to limit the spread and fill it until it starts to feel less stable. Some people put an end to end tie every couple of feet just to make the stack a bit more stable. As you stack on top of those ties it tends to tighten up a bit.

If you don't want the ends to lean out you need something and a simple tie from end to end will keep the ends from spreading. What you actually decide to do is up to you. Even a 1/4 inch rope near the top should be stout enough to keep those ends from spreading much.

The idea of the intermediate ties is to give the wood splits a stable starting point every few rows. It still is up to you how you use the information that I pass along.

Ive had good luck with cribbing the ends. It looks nice and you wouldn't have to worry about it falling over, that or leave it like it is and dont stack to high. I keep my stacks on pallets and keep them to around 4-4.5 feet otherwise they get to unstable.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
Status
Not open for further replies.