LOG OFF- Ash vs. Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Next spring I'm thinking about getting another Log Load. Now I'm already sitting on wood for 2019/20 season, so I don't really need it but.....since I am that far ahead and I know just how long it takes to properly season Oak, I thought I'd throw this out there for some feed back. Either Load will cost me $500 and I will get 10-12 face cords. From a BTU standpoint Oak has a slight advantage but Ash season's so much quicker. For those experienced with Oak....Make your case.........the thread is yours..:)

When I had the big BK, I would get the longest burns with oak that had been around for 4-5 years. That's because the coals were crazy and would last forever. For super cold weather, though, I would fill it with ash. It burned hotter and more completely, for a faster, more complete reload without messing around burning up coals.

The PE, on the other hand, would see a higher peak temp for a longer time with the super dry oak vs ash, maple, and beech.

I like to keep a good mix on hand. For four years out, I'd look at what I already have available. But I guess it depends on what your stove likes.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
If they are the same price and you dont have to worry about dry time get the oak for sure more btus per chord.

If they are the same price and you dont have to worry about dry time get the oak for sure more btus per chord.
Some Oak though can be gnarly and a pain to split while Ash splits easy all day. Just one more thing to factor in...since I do most of my splitting by hand.

Some Oak though can be gnarly and a pain to split while Ash splits easy all day. Just one more thing to factor in...since I do most of my splitting by hand.
True most ash does split nice but it can get gnarly to

Variety is the spice of life . . . get some of each.

I would probably go with oak, because i use it for BBQ, also.

Hmmm. I use a little white oak now and then, but I use white ash a lot. I find it a mild and neutral flavor that works well with a lot of meats.

Status
Not open for further replies.