Log set poll, please answer, I promise you this will not hurt.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Would like opinion on ceramic log sets, Was it worth the money?

• I do not know what a "log set is", I have a pellet stove.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ernest99 said:
offjack said:
You need to add a, "don't have one, don't want one".

Ditto, and add "glad I didn't get one."

Didn't vote, as my choice for an answer ("I'd love it in the summer, and hate it in the winter") wasn't listed. ;-P

I run the stove with mine in it when I am taking a picture of it and maybe one burn after they are in and that is it. I put them in after the season is over and the stove is all cleaned up. I had a small rope light hung in the stop of the stove and had the cord hid coming out of the door for awhile in the summer. It looks awesome with the set in but is a pain in the butt to clean and I don't think I get as much heat out running the log kit.

I really like it in the stove during the summer and I think it adds to the stove fire or no fire but isn't worth the cleaning headache and efficiency loss to run all of the time. I also have heard that they do wear out and most are fragile so that is another reason to sit them to the side.

I have my stove in an unfinished basement and leave the logs in through the summer and if it was in a finished part of the house and I bought another stove I would probably get the kit but I would try to Ebay it or obtain it in some other form than full suggested retail price.

Right now it is in a box waiting for summer.

I did not cast a vote because it only works great when the stove is off for the summer and is only worth the money if you want the appearance. Other than looks its absolutely worthless.

Don't have one! But if i was going to put anything in my stove, i would get a set up like "Haubera" has. Very sharp looking!

My log set sits on the floor behind the stove collecting dust instead of in the stove collecting ash. I would advise anyone who is hell bent on spending the money to drop the money into a Salvation Army kettle. Both you and some needy folks will be happier than you will be if you purchase the fake logs.

Got the log set with the stove and except for cleaning never took It out
Jim

Attachments

• 100_0967.jpg
    100_0967.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 218
Found a log set on CL this summer for my Advance for $10.00.

IMHO they are not worth much more than that as they are so delicate they will break
if you breathe on them wrong.

I put em in the stove for looks this summer, but they are back in the box now.

No way would I pay $70 for them.

Same opinion of most others that have one. Use it when company comes over and summer. Was free, wouldn't buy one.
Mike -

just gets covered with ash and makes it harder to clean. it was a free promo item with my stove, otherwise i wouldn't own one.

use it if your stove is for decorative purposes and you only burn an hour here and there.

Do not use it if your stove is used for heat.

IMHO, the only thing they are good for is to get "Buy In" from the spouse. Money well spent if that gets a pellet stove in the house.

I think that the flames look great without them and everyone knows that you don't need to clean off one more thing when vacuuming the stove out.

Again, IMHO, if you are looking to up-sell someone something that will make them happy instead of aggravated every cleaning day, sell them a stove vac. This makes cleaning the stove and the total ownership experience a heck of a lot better.

Wi Thundercat said:
Don't have one! But if i was going to put anything in my stove, i would get a set up like "Haubera" has. Very sharp looking!
Why, thank you!! :) I didn't totally hate the original log set, but I love the trees in there now. Don't run without 'em.

By the way, I didn't pay extra for the log set, it came with the stove. It does need some redesigning to make it more real looking and attractive, but had I not gotten an offer to make the trees I'd still be using it. Think it looked better than the "empty" stove.

offjack said:
You need to add a, "don't have one, don't want one".

My dealer said they were "A Waste of Money".
I think he was right, all of our friends only use them during the holidays.

For the Advance owners,

We took the log set out of my father's Advance, umounted the bracket, cut a hole in the center of the bracket about 1" wide and 8" long. Turned the bracket upside down and set it in front of the burn pot. The hole we cut is to allow the ashes out of the burn pot to still fall into the ash pan. We than set the log set on the bracket. It now no longer is attached to the door which eliminates the ashes falling on to the ground when you open the door and makes cleaning the glass easier. If looks is important to you it does give the fire a more "firewood burning" look. Also it keeps ashes from building up between the log set and door.

On a side note if someone still isn't interested with their advance or accentra log set please let me know. I might be interested in them for another project.

Thanks

On the 6 brands that I sell, I have yet to see an application where I would remotely suggest the log option to any pellet stove customer. They just seem to catch ash very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.