Log sets revisited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I've got the Quad Castile and would like a log set. Yes I know that it will be more of a pain to clean, but I really like the looks of the set-up.
That said I am aware that the log sets from Quadrafire are very fragile, and from reading past posts appear to disintegrate even if you were lucky enough to not have broken them while moving them.
Is it just a problem with Quadrafire log sets or do all the stove manufacturers have the same problem?

So it begs the question is there an alternative to Quadrafire log sets that homeowners can modify/install instead?

Not real sure.

It's all about if the log set you want to use will fit or can be made to fit.

I am no stranger to modifying stuff.

Look around and see what you can find.

Just make sure that whatever you use, that it does not direct the flame right onto the window glass.

Other than that, have at it.

Good luck and show us what you end up with.

Snowy

The little screen is way cool and would be easy to do in many different styles.

I had logs in the old Earth Stove, it was fine except for my need to clean things so often with the burning of nut shells.

I do understand the desire for a more natural "Camp Fire look" rather than the blow torch like the Quads.

My Whitfield pot makes a little long narrow fire that flickers and flutters around.

Snowy

Well, I also like the look of the logset. My dealer gave me one with the stove but it came broken in two pieces in the box. I took a picture of it and emailed the dealer. He said no problem keep it and I will order another one for you. Now I have two broken logsets. Apparently niether could handle the shipping? I fixed them both but honestly only use them occasionally.
Mike -

I'm still making the Pellights, just have not had time to do a new image run as my day job keeps getting in the way! These are actually made specifcally for the Castile, that's what I burn. Quetions? Thanks Mac.

I've never tryed a logset in mine after the dealer i bought from recommended not using one because of cleaning issues and i think he said it would result in dirty glass faster. I'm curious now to try it.

I think the thing that amazes me the most is that although we read prior posts and I personally have talked to a Quad dealer as others have, that Quad still sells the same old log set. When I purchased my Castile I inquired about the logs and was advised not to. It was even suggested that Quad was coming out with a cement version of the log set. I did check back with the dealer months later and was told that nothing has changed.

I mentioned in the original post that I wondered if there was another company producing a log set that could be modified to fit a Castile. On second thought it appears that the Quad log sets are ceramic and I have serious doubts that I could remove any material say with a dremel tool without destroying it. Are all log sets fabricated from ceramic to survive the heat and flame of the burn pot?

smalltown said:
I think the thing that amazes me the most is that although we read prior posts and I personally have talked to a Quad dealer as others have, that Quad still sells the same old log set. When I purchased my Castile I inquired about the logs and was advised not to. It was even suggested that Quad was coming out with a cement version of the log set. I did check back with the dealer months later and was told that nothing has changed.

I mentioned in the original post that I wondered if there was another company producing a log set that could be modified to fit a Castile. On second thought it appears that the Quad log sets are ceramic and I have serious doubts that I could remove any material say with a dremel tool without destroying it. Are all log sets fabricated from ceramic to survive the heat and flame of the burn pot?

I believe they are all made of refractory ceramic, same basic stuff as the fire brick liners. Mine was pretty light weight and I think it could be cut. I drilled into it with a carbide cement drill easily. Not sure I'd spend the money to find out though.
Mike -

I have a log set for my Harman Advance. The only time I put it in the stove is during the summer. It's to fragile and I don't want to break it while doing my weekly cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.