Log spliter-Brave, Iron and Oak or something else

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yetty734

Dec 10, 2007
Central OH
hey,

realizing that i cant hand split wood to supply 6-8 cords a year. i know brave makes a good splitter and they have their commerical iron and oak line. what i need to know is it worth it to jump to the commercial or can i just stay with plain brave and be safe. Also what model should i get i was thinking 22 or 26 ton. and then what engine, briggs, honda, robin, or vanguard? This splitter would likely be used almost monthly as if i have extra wood ill just sell it.(i can only fit 8 cords in my back yard) If theres another brand you think i should look at tell me. anyone know a good spot to find one used??? Anything will help. just to many choices to just go buy one.

thanks

cody

i think they are good splitters.i don't think you need the commercial model for 6-8 cords a year but who am i to say.i care more about layout and user friendliness than cost.dealer location and parts availability is another factor.i personnaly am sold on Honda motors and i have used and fixed every brand out there.

i don't like axles welded to the hydraulic fluid tank,i like when the split pieces fall and don't damage any part of the machine and i like not having to bend over

American's look good, but how do you order one or get more info???

If you only want to buy one splitter to last you a lifetime, buy the commercial duty one if you can afford it. The Honda commercial engines are great, but the other engines will do, and when they go bad, they are easy to replace.

i would have to wait a alot longer to save up if i get the commercial. i dont think i really need commercial...i guess maybe one day i would split 15ish a year if i sold wood. will that require the commercial line or will the normal brave last as long as i take care of it. Does anyone know what the difference is between braves orange(super rural/residential) and the red brave splitters are??

thanks

cody

yetty734 said:
hey,

realizing that i cant hand split wood to supply 6-8 cords a year. i know brave makes a good splitter and they have their commerical iron and oak line. what i need to know is it worth it to jump to the commercial or can i just stay with plain brave and be safe. Also what model should i get i was thinking 22 or 26 ton. and then what engine, briggs, honda, robin, or vanguard? This splitter would likely be used almost monthly as if i have extra wood ill just sell it.(i can only fit 8 cords in my back yard) If theres another brand you think i should look at tell me. anyone know a good spot to find one used??? Anything will help. just to many choices to just go buy one.

thanks

cody

IMHO the sweet-spot size is around 20 tons, that will handle most anything you can throw at it, w/o breaking the bank. Brand is IMHO not that important, as nearly all splitters are made with the same components from only 2-3 suppliers, just assembled by different people. So I'd look for whatever brand offers the features that you like at the best price.

Engines are probably the biggest variable, with lots of people saying bad things about B&S;, but I would say that the engine is easy to change if needed, and any will probably work fine for a long time on a home-owner use machine. I wouldn't make the engine brand a major choice factor, but if two machines were otherwise about the same, I'd probably go for the Honda or Robin, in that order...

Gooserider

I bought a Ramsplitter 16 ton and have been Very happy with mine. whatever you get make sure you get a vertical-horizontal model. I went with a HP 220 volt electric model very quite so I can split early in the morning and not bother the nabor's. I split 6 full cords last fall and 3 full cords so far this spring. They also have them with the Honda motors. Shipping included in price. Hard to beat. Jay www.ramsplitter.com P/S most of my wood is elm only got stuck once and that was my fault Bad Bad knot. If your getting alot of Ash from the borers its almost faster to split it with a maul splits real easy unless their Big

I have a Brave 22 ton. It's orange with a briggs motor. It's split 20 cords so far in it's life. The motor starts usually the first pull, has never bogged down when splitting. Mind you I have split stuff from 4 foot wide logs x 16 inch long to some REALLY narley crotch pieces and that machine never thought twice about it. I'm pretty sure I could start using it buck up logs... haha. I wish it had a Honda because I'm sure it would last longer, but hey this one is working just fine. I split 5-6 cords per year. I agree about the axle being welded to the hydraulic reservoir is not a good design, but it makes it more compact. I have not seen any problems with that design yet. We'll see how it goes.

There are allot of nice machines out there. Good luck and buy American if you can.

-Mike

anybody know of dealers in central ohio for logsplitters?? ive done some searching and cant find much. id like to be within half hour of neark, ohio if possible.

The only place I know of is Harbor Freight in eastlake ohio (right east of CLeveland). I'd bet the ones they have are from China.

I clicked on your link to the splitter. Wholly crap that thing has an overkill motor! 11 HP for a 20 ton! I must be missing something...

-Mike

The hp basically has nothing to do with tonnage. A 1 hp motor can operate a 20 ton cylinder but it will be real slooooow. Pump output in gpm determine the engine hp required. Bigger pumps require more hp and allow for faster cycle times.
I have noticed that many manufacturers use larger B&S;engines than Honda or Robin maybe B&S;over states it's hp ratings the same as most splitter manufacturers over state tonnage. The Iron&Oak;20 ton splitter has a 3.5 inch bore cylinder with a pump that is rated for 3000psi which equals 14.4 tons max. For safety reasons all splitters had relief valves set between 2250 and 2750 psi which lowers the tonnage even more.

I bought a Swisher 28 ton with a 10 1/2 HP B&S;. I love this thing!!!!!! I have split locust about 30 inch diameter, and it didn't even grunt hard! Mine is the vertical or horizontal model and I highly recommend one that will stand up vertical! The swisher uses top quality components( Parker hoses etc...) In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Swisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.